Mar 21, 2021
Hey,
I'm running a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro on Acer Aspire VN7-791G. It's not a new machine so I decided to boost it up a bit by replacing old WD10JPVX HDD into new Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I got 2 of them. Migrated OS to the one and did a clean install to the other(for a second machine). Everything was running smoothly after the migration and replacement of the SSD, except the WIFI signal keeps dropping. It connects and disconnects either immediately or after few seconds . It seems That the network adapter "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter" doesn't function together with the new SSD and I cant figure out why? I redid the migration, thinking that the problem was caused by it, but to no effect. Installed the other SSD with clean windows. Same issue. But if I connect the old HDD, the issue disappears it connects to the internet and everything runs smoothly just slowly.
I tried addressing the network adapter by running Network troubleshooter.
Updated drivers, rolled them back, downloaded 15 different generations of drivers from the manufacturers website and installed them manually.
Uninstalled the device and took it out of the machine physically, then reinstalled it.
Ran flushing, renewing, scanning commands on command prompt. None of them found any issue with the device.
Turned on and restarted services in services.msc.
Did all the tinkering in the device / properties IPv4, 6. Manual IP. Changed the values in configure / advanced.
The only evidence that the device isn't running properly I found in the event viewer with several errors, warnings and information messages.
I may have tried other solutions that I found online, just don't remember them all. I've been sitting on this problem for a while now.

Update: Booted Linux Mint Cinnamon via USB flash drive and it picked up the connection no problem.

Any new ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have no great ideas for you.
But, I want to follow the thread to a strange problem.

Did you use the samsung ssd migration aid to do the migration?

You have used two different 860 EVO devices, so I would rule out a ssd hardware issue.
A clean windows install should have worked.

HDD and linux works so I would rule out a hardware issue.

Looking more closely to the event viewer log might point you to the source of the problem.

It seems like the presence of the original HDD is necessary.

Samsung ssd migration aid is a logical C drive mover.
It will not move any of the hidden partitions that come with a laptop HDD.
The recovery partition for example, and there may be others.
It will only move two extra logical partitions(C,D,E...)
If more were present, wifi may need them.

Here is the user guide, look at the limitations:
https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws...ration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v6.pdf

Can you try the migration again using a clone utility like macrium reflect which is a bit for bit mover?

Mar 21, 2021
I have no great ideas for you.
But, I want to follow the thread to a strange problem.

Did you use the samsung ssd migration aid to do the migration?

You have used two different 860 EVO devices, so I would rule out a ssd hardware issue.
A clean windows install should have worked.

HDD and linux works so I would rule out a hardware issue.

Looking more closely to the event viewer log might point you to the source of the problem.

It seems like the presence of the original HDD is necessary.

Samsung ssd migration aid is a logical C drive mover.
It will not move any of the hidden partitions that come with a laptop HDD.
The recovery partition for example, and there may be others.
It will only move two extra logical partitions(C,D,E...)
If more were present, wifi may need them.

Here is the user guide, look at the limitations:
https://s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws...ration_User_Manual_English_US_revision_v6.pdf

Can you try the migration again using a clone utility like macrium reflect which is a bit for bit mover?

No, I used MiniTool Partition Wizard.
This is the Error message from even viewer:
Device PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_E07D105B&REV_01\4&a7e56b9&0&00E0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem58.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: athr
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters: vwifibus
Problem: 0x15
Problem Status: 0x0

D

Deleted member 14196

When you say you clean installed windows, where did you do that on that laptop we’re on a different machine? It seems like you’re missing a driver

Mar 21, 2021
Very strange.
The stock HDD must have something necessary.
Perhaps it can be used as an antenna?

Why not just buy a wifi adapter card with a good antenna?
They are not expensive.
Thats what I'm running on right now. But it takes up a usb slot and its way more limited speed wise. Worst case scenario I will stay with it, but I would like to fix the integrated adapter. Mostly because technically there is nothing wrong with it, and yet it still does not work with new SSDs.

Mar 21, 2021
When you say you clean installed windows, where did you do that on that laptop we’re on a different machine? It seems like you’re missing a driver
Same machine, different SSD.
I tried borrowing yet another SSD from a friend with already existing copy of windows on other laptop. Exact same issue when I put it in my machine.

Last edited: