[SOLVED] Wifi Adapter stronger then Wifi Router

Autocon487

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Recently my family has changed their wifi to an Optimum Altice. From what I understand that they act like routers and a cable boxes for smart televisions. For my connection, I am about to receive a wifi adapter with a 1200mbps speed, with this Altice only having 300mbps.

Now what will my connection be like?

Solution
That 1200 is broken into two bands. Some of that 1200, probably 300 is in the 2.4Ghz band the other 900 is in the 5Ghz band. You can only use one of the two AND the WIFI on the other end has to support that band. With a 300 rating on the WIFI source, you will probably get a 144Mbit link rate and a 75Mbit throughput.

kanewolf

Titan
That 1200 is broken into two bands. Some of that 1200, probably 300 is in the 2.4Ghz band the other 900 is in the 5Ghz band. You can only use one of the two AND the WIFI on the other end has to support that band. With a 300 rating on the WIFI source, you will probably get a 144Mbit link rate and a 75Mbit throughput.

Solution

Autocon487

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017

Is there something you recommend?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019
Recently my family has changed their wifi to an Optimum Altice. From what I understand that they act like routers and a cable boxes for smart televisions. For my connection, I am about to receive a wifi adapter with a 1200mbps speed, with this Altice only having 300mbps.

Now what will my connection be like?

It will be below 300mbps only...

Which, is exactly what I told you in the beginning. So long as the hardware that is feeding everything is limited to 300mbps, then nothing can go above that. I don't know what exactly it is that they are putting in, but if those are the kinds of speeds it is capable of it must be some kind of old and slow technology and maybe you want to think twice about using it. Most internet providers allow you to use your own hardware so long as it's compatible. If it's the actual internet connection itself that is limited to 300mbps then there is nothing you can do no matter what hardware you use.

TRENDING THREADS