WiFi adapter suggestions

awp0109

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hello, I need an advice on which adapter to buy..
Networking is not really my strong suit, i intend to learn ofc, but currently i dont have the time and i need the adapter ASAP :p

So basically i moved into an apartment in my family house, my parents live downstairs and the router is in their apartmant since they are on the 2nd out of 3 floors so the router can cover basically the entire house. the bottom floor computer has TP-Link Archer T9UH AC1900 and it works okay, my uncle just went into the store and got the most expensive one -.-

i need a functional usb adapter under 20$ for now and something good to buy when im able, can be a usb adapter, pcie adapter...

floors are 2.6m high and the computer is almost right above the router. the bandwith is 20/2 mbps. if there's any other info thats relevant im happy to provide :)

my current need is only for some basic shananigans around the internet like downloading documents etc. although it would be nice if its okay for online gaming too.

in regards to some long term solution, i play a lot of games online and ocasionally stream on twitch and upload videos to youtube. i dont have a specific price range, i have no problem investing more in a good value for money ratio :)

i realise wireless is not the best option for that but if i could avoid drilling holes through the house to drag cables through, that would be awesome :D

awp0109

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

i already thought of that, the 1st and 3rd floor are on the same board but the 2nd has its own... my luck :D

awp0109

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

i think you missunderstood or i wasnt clear :p router is on the 2nd floor, but the 1st and 3rd floor wiring are connected

Punch a hole in the floor and run an ethernet cable through. I recommend using a sledgehammer.

Really, I would probably just run a cable for the best performance and reliability, but that might depend on what's in your walls and how difficult it would be to do so. In some cases, you might be able to just get away with sending a cable down through a hole into a closet or something, depending on the layout.

If you get no other options the best USB device is going to already have a USB extension cable attached and possibly external antenna. Size matters those tiny USB things are low power and easy to transport. They are designed for laptops where portability and battery are more important than performance.

Unlike a router that almost every brand transmits at maximum power USB dongle do not always. It is a massive effort to search the fcc data base to see which ones transmit at higher power.

Since the units that are physically larger and have usb cables are designed for desktops they also tend to be higher output....but you can't be 100% sure without reading those massive test reports.

In any case you want a USB extension cable even if you buy one yourself. The metal case blocks a lot of signal and you can get some small amount of interference from the computer itself.