Wifi adapter won't enable or let me connect to wifi

Sep 9, 2018
I just built a pc today a few hours ago and i've been using a usb wifi adapter since i built the pc. It doesn't let me connect to wifi though. It isn't enabled most of the time but when it is, i don't see any wifi networks i could connect to. i've been trying to connect to a network the past 4 hours almost but no luck. it's an old wifi adapter by D-Link but it's a good one for how old it is. It goes 300mbps but I'm not sure if me not being able to connect to wifi is because of the adapters age. i've had it for a while. i'm guessing 8-11 years old but i'm not sure cause i was young. Should i upgrade and get a newer wifi adapter? or is there something i can do to fix my problem with me not being able to connect to any wifi network. I'm on Windows 10

Solution
Its probably that the Wi-Fi networks are newer age like n/Ac etc.. while your old adapter probably only supports b/g capabilities. If you have a recent mobile phone, trying connecting to the wi-fi network and check. If you are able to connect, then its likely that the old wi-fi adapter doesn't support newer wifi protocols. One way is to configure your wifi to transmit in older methods at the expense of speed. But its a choice you need to make.

Windows 10 supports all the protocols, so that may not be the issue!
Sep 12, 2018
Its probably that the Wi-Fi networks are newer age like n/Ac etc.. while your old adapter probably only supports b/g capabilities. If you have a recent mobile phone, trying connecting to the wi-fi network and check. If you are able to connect, then its likely that the old wi-fi adapter doesn't support newer wifi protocols. One way is to configure your wifi to transmit in older methods at the expense of speed. But its a choice you need to make.

Windows 10 supports all the protocols, so that may not be the issue!

Solution