Question WiFi adaptor help

Jun 7, 2019
So I purchased an Asus PCE-AC88 wi-fi card thinking it would be an easy installation. through trial and error I realized it will not work in mini PCIE slot 1 as I have a GPU installed in PCIE slot 2.

No problem, I end up moving it to the only other mini PCIE slot on my motherboard and it ends up working perfectly.

Here is where the issue begins. The PCIE slot that the WiFi card works in is directly underneath my graphics card, so close infact that the card pushes against one of the fans on the GPU not allowing it to move. Obvious problem there.

That brings me to my point. Is there any way to have the WiFi card work in the first mini PCIE slot above the GPU where it fits perfectly? Or am I just doomed to continue using my usb WiFi adaptor.

P.s. this is my first ever post on this web sight so If anything is formatted wrong please let me know.

The details on the motherboard determine which pci slots have interdependence. Someone on one of the other forums on this site maybe able to help if there is some bios setting that you can change to make the PCI port work. You could also see if there is a forum on the manufactures site since that type of question is very vendor dependent.

They do make cables and other devices to extend pci ports. These are mostly used in server cases where you need to mount the card at 90 degrees. So you could move the card away from the video card but then you get into how do you get the card mounted to the back of the case.

The card you list is the top of the line card and there is nothing that compares on USB. It really depends if you see any actual benefit to having 4x4 mimo. The ultimate option is not to use wifi at all since it does not compare to a ethernet cable.

So I purchased an Asus PCE-AC88 wi-fi card thinking it would be an easy installation. through trial and error I realized it will not work in mini PCIE slot 1 as I have a GPU installed in PCIE slot 2.

No problem, I end up moving it to the only other mini PCIE slot on my motherboard and it ends up working perfectly.

Here is where the issue begins. The PCIE slot that the WiFi card works in is directly underneath my graphics card, so close infact that the card pushes against one of the fans on the GPU not allowing it to move. Obvious problem there.

That brings me to my point. Is there any way to have the WiFi card work in the first mini PCIE slot above the GPU where it fits perfectly? Or am I just doomed to continue using my usb WiFi adaptor.

P.s. this is my first ever post on this web sight so If anything is formatted wrong please let me know.

Need to correct something here, "mini PCIe" and "PCIe x1" slots are different, what you have is a "PCIe x1 slot". It's pretty clear from what you wrote what you meant, but it's good to know the correct thing to call something.

What is the model of the motherboard you have so we can see what you are working with. If there is an issue with a PCIe slot, you should contact the vendor to get it replaced.