[SOLVED] Wifi adpator disconnects only when I'm not actively working on PC

Dec 10, 2019
I recently (5 days ago) purchased a TP link WN 823N wireless adapter and I'm having some connectivity issues with it.

Everything works perfectly when I'm working on the computer, even if I'm on it for a couple of hours.

The issue is when I'm AFK, the connection stops and I have to "Troubleshoot" the connection which resets the adapter and then It's all good. The troubleshooting results show that "the default gateway is not available" or it says something about access points.

I've made sure to update the driver and I've unchecked the option to let the computer turn off the device to save energy. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.

I've made sure that Windows 10 is up to date as well.

This has been an annoying issue since I can't leave things to download when I'm away from the computer.

The Wifi is not the issue since I have a laptop which doesn't have this issue at all.

Can anyone let me know if they have any idea why this is happening? Am I better of trying to return the adapter since I recently bought it?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless adapter up and away from the computer.

Especially if the USB adapter is plugged into the back of the computer and the computer is sitting on the floor.

May help if there is some inherent transmission or reception issues.
Dec 10, 2019
It's getting turned off as a power-saving measure.

Any estimates on how long you have to be away for it to get put to sleep?
It's very random but usually not very long, between 5 and 20 minutes. I've turned off the option to let the computer turn it off from the properties, is there something else I should enable/disable?

I also have the power options on the PC set to maximum performance, just in case this info is relevant

Ralston18

Titan
Try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless adapter up and away from the computer.

Especially if the USB adapter is plugged into the back of the computer and the computer is sitting on the floor.

May help if there is some inherent transmission or reception issues.

Solution