[SOLVED] WiFi and Ethernet, both varying speeds.

georgens

Commendable
Oct 2, 2017
Alright so networking isnt my specialty so bear with me.

So I used to be on BT, and got these ethernet extender boxes, which would simply plug into a wall, then the hub into one of them, then link wirelessly to another one in a different room, then plug an ethernet cable into it (https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2237514728...iq_OX_rwTbU-GNoBwrItzKySle0gyjcBoC6scQAvD_BwE) basically them. So when i plugged it into my PC the download speed was horrific, much lower than what my brother was getting using the exact same method, i chose to get a usb wifi device and i now get decent download speeds like him, just a little bit slower.

However we have now changed to plusnet and the download speed is actually faster however only for my brother using the same method still, my connection in games have become very unstable, ping rising and falling, any help appreciated on this issue.

Solution
By "hub" do you mean router or switch? Not sure about the physical connections that you are describing.

A diagram would help.

Powerline adapter kits are very dependent on the condition of the electrical circuits over which they are being used.

First, try swapping ethernet cables with your brother - see if the connection problems follow the cables or stay with the powerline adapters.

Second, swap powerline adapters to likewise determine if the problem follows any given powerline adapter,.

Third, use extension cables to eliminate electrical circuit problems by bypassing the circuits being used.

Key is to methodically narrow down the possible culprit either directly or by elimination.

Ralston18

Titan
By "hub" do you mean router or switch? Not sure about the physical connections that you are describing.

A diagram would help.

Powerline adapter kits are very dependent on the condition of the electrical circuits over which they are being used.

First, try swapping ethernet cables with your brother - see if the connection problems follow the cables or stay with the powerline adapters.

Second, swap powerline adapters to likewise determine if the problem follows any given powerline adapter,.

Third, use extension cables to eliminate electrical circuit problems by bypassing the circuits being used.

Key is to methodically narrow down the possible culprit either directly or by elimination.

Reactions: georgens
Solution

georgens

Commendable
Oct 2, 2017

A diagram would help.

By hub I mean the object with the WiFi password on if that makes sense, and the problem isn't the cables, I'll try the other options now.

Ralston18

Titan
"Hub" likely a router or combination modem/router.

For most home networks:

ISP ----> Modem ----> Router --- Ethernet ---> Wired network devices and ~~ wireless ~~> Wireless network devices.

The modem and router can be one combined device.