[SOLVED] WiFi and Powerline - Slow Speeds

paulbasel

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
I am attempting to increase the speed of my wifi network. It does function but oh, so slowly. My home has 3 floors. All new wiring during a remodel 15 years ago, one circuit.

Top Floor:
Ethernet wired desktop: 100 Mbps down and 10 up
Asus laptop R500V (2012) connected by wifi: 40 - 45 Mbit/s down and 10 up. 4 meters from the router.
Linksys WRT3200 ACM router
Devolo powerline dLan 1200+ Main unit

Ground Floor:
Amazon Alexa, 3 ipads: 65 - 68 Mbit/s down, 10 up.
Devolo dLan 1200+WIFI ac

Both Devolo units plugged directly into sockets, no power strips.

According to the Devolo Cockpit software:
Data rate from main to unit on the ground floor: 154 Mbit/s
Data rate from unit on ground floor to main unit: 205 Mbit/s

2.4 GHz
Current channel: 6 (auto)
Enabled SSIDs: Devolo
Connected WiFi clients: 1

5 GHz
Current channel: 100 (auto)
Enabled SSIDs: Devolo
Connected WiFi clients: 4

Ethernet
Port 1: 100 Mbit/s
Port 2: 100 Mbit/s

1. Anything that I can do right now to speed things up?
  2. In the next few months my ISP will replace the current modem with a combo modem/router Arris TG3442 which will make the Linksys redundant.
  3. Can I use the Linksys in any way to increase the speed of the wireless network?

Solution
What speed do you get when you connect ethernet to ground floor powerline unit? That'll be the max speed of the powerline unit.

Unfortunately, powerline is great for a decent connection, but bandwidth will always be limited.

Do you have Coax for cable tv in the house? Do you have cable tv or satelite? You may be able to use MOCA adapter which do actually give you gigabit speeds.
What speed do you get when you connect ethernet to ground floor powerline unit? That'll be the max speed of the powerline unit.

Unfortunately, powerline is great for a decent connection, but bandwidth will always be limited.

Do you have Coax for cable tv in the house? Do you have cable tv or satelite? You may be able to use MOCA adapter which do actually give you gigabit speeds.

Solution