Wifi Antennas To Pick Up Access Points

MrGoldenKity

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
So, my current os is Kali Linux, and I currently have the alpha awus036ach net adapter, dual band and 2 antennas with 5 dbi... Id like to buy an external antenna to be able to upgrade that dbi power.

The question is, shouls i go for a omni directional antenna? Any recommendations? I really don't know, i'm scared of buying a directional antenna and capt 0 access points..

Solution
Larger antenna may help a little of you have a weak signal currently. If you have no signal then it is not likely larger antenna are going to help much.

In many cases the problem is not the signal levels but all the interference from unwanted signals. Adding larger antenna just increases these unwanted signals along with the wanted ones. Directional antenna help with this because they only increase the levels of signals from a particular direction. Most times directional antenna are used outdoors and generally you need directional antenna on both ends for best operation.
Larger antenna may help a little of you have a weak signal currently. If you have no signal then it is not likely larger antenna are going to help much.

In many cases the problem is not the signal levels but all the interference from unwanted signals. Adding larger antenna just increases these unwanted signals along with the wanted ones. Directional antenna help with this because they only increase the levels of signals from a particular direction. Most times directional antenna are used outdoors and generally you need directional antenna on both ends for best operation.

Solution

MrGoldenKity

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Yeah, I see.

Then another question,

What should I get if I want to capt the MOST ap's in my area, I am capting up to around 20, and I live in an urban area, what would be the best solution to capt more? Also, sadly I live in an apartment, first floor, and don't have access to the roof.

I know i'm asking for too much, but still, in my situation, what would be the best? The thing is I want to be able to capt atleast the buildings next to me, they are around 20 meters away from my block.

Should I get the directional antenna and just aim at both sides, trying to snipe some ap's, or try a omni antenna, to get all of them at the same time?

I am asking this because I have no experience whats so ever with antennas, I just read about them, but this subject is debatable.

I am also worried about health, since it will be next to my window.

Thank you : )