Question WiFi + Bluetooth PCIe card compatibility

Apr 12, 2019
Hello everyone!

So, after decades (yes, old geezer here) I decided to build another PC. I have decided upon a MSI B450 Tomahawk mainboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. I am now considering adding a WiFi + Bluetooth PCIe card and found one from Ubit (Ubit 802.11 AC 1167 Mbps PCIe Wireless WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 (WIE7265)).

Now that I wanted to order it via amazon (reluctantly), I noticed that there is a note saying "not compatible with AMD" (strangely enough only on the German amazon website, not the .com version).

This seems weird to me, since it should not matter whether I use an AMD- or Intel-mainboard as the interface is the PCIe and the signal (plus conversion) will be done by the card's processor anyway. But since I have not been "in the game" for a long time, I thought I'd ask whether any of you can give me some advice.

If you have other suggestions for WiFi+Bluetooth PCIe cards, they are of course welcome. But most of all I would like to satisfy my curiosity (I want to learn, after all) in regards to whether you really could have compatibility issues between PCIe cards and the mainboard depending on the chipset used?

Thank you in advance for your help and input!

Apr 12, 2019
According to the manufacturer, that card uses an Intel chipset.
The manufacturer also states non-compatibility with AMD CPUs, as per the link below:
http://www.evisionde.com/7265.html

Thank you! I couldn't find the manufacturer link (I was looking for "Ubit"). I think I start to understand why I couldn't comprehend an incompatibility. I thought the card comes with its own chipset to process the signal and sends the data to the mainboard - but it seems it utilises the CPU on the mainboard for data processing.

Good point. However, this is were my long absence from the PC world shows up again: I ordered (and received today) the B450 Tomahawk. I planned on using regular LAN cable, as I did back when there was no other option. Only last night did I realise that I could make use of WLAN and Bluetooth (for my headphones) "despite" having a desktop PC. ;)

Thank you both for the input!