[SOLVED] Wifi calling dropouts at arbitrary times on both 2.4 and 5.0 - phone in airplane mode

babb

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I've got an Xfinity dual band modem/router model TG02DCW3482P2CT and am experiencing WiFi calling dropouts on an intermittent basis.
Details:
  • iPhone is in airplane mode (this shuts off cellular)
  • There are no pods or mesh network attached to my home wifi network
  • The dropouts occur whether the phone is one foot away from the modem or at the opposite end of the house from the modem
  • The dropouts occur on multiple iPhones
A couple of debugging patterns I detected:
  1. WiFi calls were dropping between 3 and 9 minutes over six calls. I then power cycled the modem and the next call sustained for 65 minutes
  2. One call dropped due to a Wifi calling dropout at precisely midnight (this does not seem like a coincidence to me)
Multiple Comcast reps (some of whom came to my house) have said different things about what the cause is, but none of them were correct.
One residential repair rep told me over the phone that he could see dropouts coming from my home and had observed 364 over a 12.5 hour period.

I finally got in touch with the a local Comcast field service manager and he said in 20 years with the company he had never encountered such an issue. He suggested I create separate networks for 2.4 and 5.0 (rather than leave them on the same network) and force the phones onto one network or the other. I went ahead and partitioned my network into two separate networks - 2.4 and 5.0 - yet the dropped calls occur on both networks.

Does anyone have any clues as to what may be going on?

FYI, I am not using cell calling because it is very choppy at my home.

Solution
Intermittent Internet service could cause WiFi call dropout.
Short Internet drops (a second or less), might not cause any issues if a device is just browsing the Internet or video streaming, since there is an overhead, but it will drop a call over WiFi.
I had experience that issue and it has been caused by Internet quality.
Since I own my modem, it has a built-in Internet quality test
There are websites like DSLReports.com that could run a quality test on your Internet service. the test if found under the tab Tools.

The iPhone should not be in Airplane mode, since Airplane mode turns off all communications, such as Wi-Fi, cellular and Bluetooth, on an iPhone.
To use WiFi calling, just turn on WiFi Calling and the iPhone...
Short Internet drops (a second or less), might not cause any issues if a device is just browsing the Internet or video streaming, since there is an overhead, but it will drop a call over WiFi.
There are websites like DSLReports.com that could run a quality test on your Internet service. the test if found under the tab Tools.

The iPhone should not be in Airplane mode, since Airplane mode turns off all communications, such as Wi-Fi, cellular and Bluetooth, on an iPhone.
To use WiFi calling, just turn on WiFi Calling and the iPhone automatically uses WiFi calling if the signal is good and your service provider allows it. Some service providers require an app on the iPhone to support WiFi calling.

Solution

babb

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

To use WiFi calling, just turn on WiFi Calling and the iPhone automatically uses WiFi calling if the signal is good and your service provider allows it. Some service providers require an app on the iPhone to support WiFi calling.
On my iPhone, airplane mode does not turn off Wi-Fi. I will try the quality test from DSLReports.

Thanks!