[SOLVED] WIFI capped to 35mbps on one PC Only, but Wifi Status Screen shows 150mbps speed.

Jan 1, 2019
Looking for help as I've put 2 days into this problem and I stumped.

Recently started experiencing issues on my pc wifi speed. Should be a 150mbps connection that is yielding ~35 mbps.

The 35mbps speed is per multiple speed test sites, including fast.com, speakeasy, and the comcast speed test.

After much testing, I've Isolated that this is a problem with the wifi connection on this particular problem pc. Mobile devices and a 2nd laptop all achieve 150mbps speeds on wifi. The problem PC achieves normal speeds when wired directly into the router.

I've already uninstalled the wifi card, and reinstalled, but same issue.

I suspected a bad wifi card, but have eliminated that as well. I bought a USB wifi adapter, and THAT adapter also achieved 35mbps speeds.

Odder yet, when i check the status screen of the wifi connection on the problem PC in Network and Internet settings, it shows speeds of 75mpbs - 200mpbs.

This feels like some kind of setting or conflict issue with the PC. I've gone into the configuration and changed just about any setting that seems relevant and still no change.

Any suggestions?

PC:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700HQ @2.6GHz
16gb memory
64-bit

Wireless card:
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Router:
Linksys CM3008 Router

Wireless Router
Google WiFi Router by TP-Link - OnHub AC1900

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Just because the card is rated for 150Mbps it doesn't mean that it actually will get close to that, in fact no wireless connection EVER actually does what it is advertised to do -- and anything that interferes with the signal (other networks, other wireless devices, the specific location of the device in question) can significantly slow it down.

One advantage to the USB device that you bought is that you can attach it on a long USB cable and move it to an optimum position to improve performance.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS