[SOLVED] WiFi card can't connect to 2.4GHz (but can with 5GHz)

Jun 7, 2019
Hi everyone,

After searching on different forums with the same title, I didn't find any solution for my problem. Here is my problem:

So I decided to get a WiFi card instead of a simple USB wifi dongle that I used for quite a while now. The dongle was working fine with any Network (TP-LINK T2U 600Mbps).

But for some reason, new WiFi cards seems to only work with 5GHz networks. I first went for a TP-LINK Archer T6E (which was supposed to work with both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and it was working well with any 5GHz network, but it couldn't connect to 2.4. I tried with my home network along with 2 different phone hotspots. Nothing worked. I also tried to change settings in the Device Manager, didn't do anything.

I thought the wifi card was somehow broken and I asked for a refund. I am now using a Hommie P02W (also claiming to work on both 2.4 and 5GHz) and I have the exact same issue. Working on any 5GHz network, but not working with 2.4.

I tried a lot of things, from modifying the adapter's settings in the Device Manager to a complete Network Reset in Windows.
However, during my attempts to connect to my phone's 2.4GHz hotspot, I see it connects for just a second before the adapter reset itself and Windows telling me "can't connect to this network."

Please don't just tell me "use the 5GHz band on your phone hotspot". For some reason, no wifi devices can detect the phone hotspot using this band. And I still want to be able to connect to 2.4GHz when needed anyway.

I'm currently running on Windows 10 Home v1803, and the phone I'm doing my tests on is the Pocophone F1. Thanks for your help.

Solution
I can connect to any 2.4GHz network with the old dongle, and the phone could connect to the router in 2.4 too. Thanks for trying to help, but I gave up and bought a new wifi dongle (better than the old one) instead of the wifi card, and this one works just fine.
What happens when you try the dongle that used to work? Does that connect fine to 2.4? Nothing should prevent you from using both bands if both devices support 2.4 ghz form what you wrote outside of an issue with the phone hotspot. You said the router WiFi also does not connect at 2.4ghz not just the hotspot connection? Do the phones connect to 2.4hz band from the router?

Jun 7, 2019
I can connect to any 2.4GHz network with the old dongle, and the phone could connect to the router in 2.4 too. Thanks for trying to help, but I gave up and bought a new wifi dongle (better than the old one) instead of the wifi card, and this one works just fine.

Solution