[SOLVED] Wifi card drivers bringing up windows security and reboot?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
T6E Archer Wifi card drivers reboot?

I had an older version of the drivers from when I first installed the card and I installed them today after my computer was wiped,I checked the website and notice that there was a new driver for the card,the interface changed,and is it normal for windows security to ask me if I wanted to proceed with installing the drivers because it was from a website,also these new drivers required a restart where as the old ones didn’t,is this something new?

Solution
It can be normal.

Depends on the end user's computer configuration.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-dc73c9c9-1b4c-a8b7-8d8b-b471736bb5a0

Likely that you have multiple configuration settings available via Windows, Browsers, and apps.

So normal would be in accordance with your requirements and environment.

If you are accustomed to being asked to confirm a download then that would be normal.

But if downloads suddenly start without confirmation then that may indicate a problem.

On the other hand if you are in an environment (a work office) where downloading by end users is specifically blocked then being asked to confirm a download would likewise indicate a...

Ralston18

Titan
Neither would be unusual.

You can and should configure Windows to notify/verify any software changes. If you are not intentionally making or otherwise not aware of some change in process then that could indicate a malware or AV problem.

So the question is an opportunity for you to stop the install until you can determine what is taking place.

The restart process basically allows Windows to do some cleaning up and finish the overall configuration settings as necessary for the new software. Likely to be a one-time process with respect to the initial installation.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Neither would be unusual.

You can and should configure Windows to notify/verify any software changes. If you are not intentionally making or otherwise not aware of some change in process then that could indicate a malware or AV problem.

So the question is an opportunity for you to stop the install until you can determine what is taking place.

The restart process basically allows Windows to do some cleaning up and finish the overall configuration settings as necessary for the new software. Likely to be a one-time process with respect to the initial installation.
Sounds good to me,been using my pc on wireless for the past days and nothing wrong,I’m just concerned to why windows asked if I was sure I wanted to download the drivers because they were from a website,is this normal?

Ralston18

Titan
I would say normal and I would become concerned if my system stopped flagging potentially harmful actions such as a download from any website.

Many websites use misleading designs and colored buttons etc., to trick visitors into downloading something.

Maybe the visitor's intent is indeed some download but the layout puts a big green download button on something else. That is why you should always check the link being displayed - if the link is even shown....

There are also many websites designed for and specifically set up with names similar to known sites or to take advantage of a typo in the URL being used. An extra "s" for example, or the opposite, a missing "s".

I use such warnings (from Windows or any source) as a reminder to take a closer look and check the website, the download button I clicked, and download path link itself.

Better to err on the side of caution I think.

And any site that continues such trickery or mis-directions is a website I will not visit again.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I would say normal and I would become concerned if my system stopped flagging potentially harmful actions such as a download from any website.

Many websites use misleading designs and colored buttons etc., to trick visitors into downloading something.

Maybe the visitor's intent is indeed some download but the layout puts a big green download button on something else. That is why you should always check the link being displayed - if the link is even shown....

There are also many websites designed for and specifically set up with names similar to known sites or to take advantage of a typo in the URL being used. An extra "s" for example, or the opposite, a missing "s".

I use such warnings (from Windows or any source) as a reminder to take a closer look and check the website, the download button I clicked, and download path link itself.

Better to err on the side of caution I think.

And any site that continues such trickery or mis-directions is a website I will not visit again.
So it’s normal for windows to ask if I wanted to proceed to download the drivers?

Ralston18

Titan
It can be normal.

Depends on the end user's computer configuration.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-dc73c9c9-1b4c-a8b7-8d8b-b471736bb5a0

Likely that you have multiple configuration settings available via Windows, Browsers, and apps.

So normal would be in accordance with your requirements and environment.

If you are accustomed to being asked to confirm a download then that would be normal.

But if downloads suddenly start without confirmation then that may indicate a problem.

On the other hand if you are in an environment (a work office) where downloading by end users is specifically blocked then being asked to confirm a download would likewise indicate a problem.

For me: I want to know if a download attempt is taking place and have the choice to stop/cancel the download. And I also want approved downloads scanned as well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS