WiFi card potentially blocking GPU

nadimsadeeq9

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
I would like to add a graphics card to my build which has an a10 7870k apu. However, I have a WiFi card installed and I think that it will block the graphics card. Is there some sort of adapter I can get to fix this issue, if there is an issue at all? Link for mobo: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-F2A78M-HD2-Motherboard-Socket-Express/dp/B00INMXMZC

The graphics card would be either a gtx 1050 ti, Gtx 1060 or a rx 580. A bottleneck, I know, but I’m planning to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram in a couple of years, and even a bottlenecked gpu would be miles better than the integrated one I currently have.

Solution
Yeah you will not be able to use a dual slot graphics card with a PCI-E wifi card on that motherboard. You can however get a decent USB wifi card if you have to go wifi, or a range extender with an ethernet port or a powerline adapter.

I'd choose the GTX 1060 6Gb if you can, the 3GB is ok to but the 3GB can be a limiting factor, and the RX 580 is slightly slower and chews threw power, so You'd need a good PSU for sure with that card where the 1060 I'd still recommend a decent PSU but you can get away with a decent 400watt where the rx 580 I wouldn't even feel comfortable with a 500watt for that card.
Yeah you will not be able to use a dual slot graphics card with a PCI-E wifi card on that motherboard. You can however get a decent USB wifi card if you have to go wifi, or a range extender with an ethernet port or a powerline adapter.

I'd choose the GTX 1060 6Gb if you can, the 3GB is ok to but the 3GB can be a limiting factor, and the RX 580 is slightly slower and chews threw power, so You'd need a good PSU for sure with that card where the 1060 I'd still recommend a decent PSU but you can get away with a decent 400watt where the rx 580 I wouldn't even feel comfortable with a 500watt for that card.

Solution

nadimsadeeq9

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

I heard that you can use a pcie 1x extender to be able to place the wifi card in a different place. However, it has mixed reviews. Do you think they would even work?

It'll work, But would you have room? The expansion slots you may have under the motherboard may not allow you to fit the extender PCB for the wifi card along with the connector and wire and the cooler of the graphics card may also not allow you to slot the graphics card in all the way as it will also have a PCB with a wire hanging out of it.

There is vary little clearance between the GPU cooler and the slot right under it.

CHIPAL-PCI-E-1X-To-1X-Extension-Cable-PCI-Express-PCIE-1x-To-1X-Riser-Card.jpg