Question WiFi Card vs Ethernet (through WiFi Extender)

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. My (gaming) Laptop [Alienware M17 R1] supports both wireless and wired connection and I have since been using the Wireless Card (Killer AC 1550 9260NGW 160mhz) however it seems to cap out at 50mbps download speeds (with next to no uploads in progress). However it does also have support for ethernet aswell which I have heard is "generally faster" than wireless. Issue is I do not have access to the router unless it was routed through the walls. The easiest way I can think of is using a Wireless extender which outputs the connection through ethernet however will that be faster than just using Wireless on my laptop?
The Wireless band is 2.4Ghz, 802.11n
The Ethernet is (Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller)

Why are you using 2.4g rather than 5. If you can get 50mbps rates on 2.4g you are doing pretty good.

You should get faster speeds if you can run on 5g.

Now that particular card is strange. Killer was known for having lots of non standard stuff and now intel bought them. That particular card attempted to implement feature that were very similar to what is now called wifi6. No router manufacture actually supported this card so the feature could never be used and it is also incompatible with wifi6 standards.

They also when it first came out had all kinds of issues connecting to routers that were using the more standard forms of 802.11ac.

Check that you have the latest drivers and again try to get it to run on the 5g radio band.

But as stated by usafret a ethernet cable is really only a ethernt cable if you run it all the way to the router from you pc. If you have some wifi device in between all you did was in effect buy a wifi nic card that you could connect via ethernet than say a USB cable. It is still the same wifi signals.