Question Wifi card

Feb 24, 2024
Currently running a very old Asus wifi card standard 12 pci slot my desktop is about 50 feet from router has to travel through the floor for signal looking for options for good gaming wifi cards must be windows 8.1 compatible looking for any really good options.

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Budget for your WiFi card purchase? Where are you located? Preferred site for purchase?

Going to be a challenge. Almost all cards made today are PCIE and not PCI. In addition even if you were to find one getting a driver that will run on windows 8 is going to be hard. I think windows 8 run 32bit drivers and almost all modern drivers are for 64bit OS.

You might find a USB device but again there are driver issues.

What your best option might be is to find a small inexpensive router that can run in client-bridge mode. Some of the so called repeater/externres can also do this. You would then use a ethernet cable to connect to your machine and there are no drivers to load.

In general you want to avoid wifi for playing online games unless you have no other option. Ethernet of course is best but you would not be here asking about wifi if that was a option. The next best is MoCA if you have coax cable in the room the router is in and your room. You could also consider powerline network. It might be a bit slower than wifi but it will have a much more stable signal. Both moca and powerline are connected via ethernet so again you don't have to do anything special with your machine.

Feb 24, 2024
Going to be a challenge. Almost all cards made today are PCIE and not PCI. In addition even if you were to find one getting a driver that will run on windows 8 is going to be hard. I think windows 8 run 32bit drivers and almost all modern drivers are for 64bit OS.

You might find a USB device but again there are driver issues.

What your best option might be is to find a small inexpensive router that can run in client-bridge mode. Some of the so called repeater/externres can also do this. You would then use a ethernet cable to connect to your machine and there are no drivers to load.

In general you want to avoid wifi for playing online games unless you have no other option. Ethernet of course is best but you would not be here asking about wifi if that was a option. The next best is MoCA if you have coax cable in the room the router is in and your room. You could also consider powerline network. It might be a bit slower than wifi but it will have a much more stable signal. Both moca and powerline are connected via ethernet so again you don't have to do anything special with your machine.
Currently the wifi router is in the living room however there is a coax cable for a router hookup in thr room.

Feb 24, 2024
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Budget for your WiFi card purchase? Where are you located? Preferred site for purchase?
I5 2500k
Cryorge mini cooler for cpu
Unsure of motherboard I think it's an Asus
Ram is ddr4 8 gb
Gup is r9 380 4 gb psu is a 550 watt evga
Os is windows 8.1 64 bit ill upload a picture of the system