Wifi Channel 13 issue

AustenC

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Hi guys,

Have been playing with the wifi channel by logging into my router, and found out that channel 13 gives me the best speed. All my apple products 'iMac, MacbookPro...' are able to connect to the wifi(channel13), but not my PC.
**channel 1-11 works fine for my pc**

My PC is connected to the router with a wireless adapter(powerlink speedy2).
I have tried to connect my PC to the router with a different wireless adapter(asus n66), it didn't work.

I have tried connecting my MacbookPro to the router with both the adapters, they work just fine.
**nothing to do with the wireless adapters I guess?**

I have tried changing the 'Country Region 2.4GHz' to (1-13), it didn't work.

Can anyone help me with this?
I am using Windows8.1, updated.

Solution
You may need a different driver for the pc. As you seem to know this is a country restriction you are not allowed to use 12 &13 in the USA. Many manufactures are lazy and use just a single product and even though the pc may let you attempt to change the country the chip inside the nic either does not support it or you must have different firmware loaded. This is extremely hard to figure out.

You could I suppose try to boot one of the linux distributions that boot completely off DVD or USB. You could then play around without affecting your real OS installation. You would know if the nic actually an run on that channel.

You are likely just getting lucky if channel 13 runs better. There are not actually 13 channels that...
You may need a different driver for the pc. As you seem to know this is a country restriction you are not allowed to use 12 &13 in the USA. Many manufactures are lazy and use just a single product and even though the pc may let you attempt to change the country the chip inside the nic either does not support it or you must have different firmware loaded. This is extremely hard to figure out.

You could I suppose try to boot one of the linux distributions that boot completely off DVD or USB. You could then play around without affecting your real OS installation. You would know if the nic actually an run on that channel.

You are likely just getting lucky if channel 13 runs better. There are not actually 13 channels that you can use. These channels are only 5mhz wide WiFi channels are either 20 or 40mhz wide. So this means you are using 4 or 8 of the so called 13. This means even if you think you are using channel 13 you are still also using channel 11 so you overlap everyone who is using that channel.

Solution