[SOLVED] WiFi connection but no internet mystery

ctjayhawker

Commendable
Mar 12, 2018
Hi, All!

I've sort of solved my main issue here, but I still want to see if one of you gurus can help me find the root of it.

OK, I'm running WIN10 Pro 64. I have an internal RalinkRT5390R WiFi adapter, but have been using a Belkin N300 WiFi adapter, model F7D2012. Yesterday I suddenly got dumped from the interwebs; WiFi still connected strongly, but no internet (everything else in the house connected fine). By various ways and means, I finally got it to reconnect only by physically removing the Belkin adapter and going through the internal card, which, though generally sufficient, connects at only half the speed of the Belkin.
I've been using this adapter for a long time with no issues, and then BANG! Nuthin'. Even disabling it wasn't enough; it had to be physically removed from the tower. Driver's up to date. Internal card had actually been disabled for ages, no problem. Even if the adapter itself had crapped out, I would think that disabling it and switching to the Ralink would do it, but no. Any idea of what would be causing this?

Thanks!

P.S. Possibly of note: earlier this week, my PC acted as though it had received some sort of update. I logged in and was greeted with a big blue "Welcome to Windows 10" screen, although Update History shows the most recent update as June 12. My son's laptop showed the same screen, but no internet issues. :-\

Solution
the internal card works fine, but the USB card had issues right?
If the update to Windows was an update to version 2004, then this is most likely the culprit because version 2004 is known right now to be having issues with USB devices and screwing up a lot of other things.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the internal card works fine, but the USB card had issues right?
If the update to Windows was an update to version 2004, then this is most likely the culprit because version 2004 is known right now to be having issues with USB devices and screwing up a lot of other things.

Solution

ctjayhawker

Commendable
Mar 12, 2018
That's what makes me wonder, because History shows the last update as being over a month ago, but this issue just began Friday or Saturday. Other USB peripherals aren't affected though; I have a USB-connected external drive, a USB mouse, and my printer connects by USB. They all work fine. :-\ It is version 2004, but I think I installed it as such; I only upgraded to 10 in May. The last update was KB4557957 on June 12.