[SOLVED] Wifi Connection speed Issue

Sabin_1989

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I have 10mb/s internet connection at home and I have 4 android phones,1 iphone, 1pad and 1 pc connected to it but not all are using the internet at the same time,still I my internet speed is less than 10mb/s but when I do speed check it shows full speed. My ISP says there id no issue from their end on connection

Please suggest do I need to increase the speed of my internet or should I buy a wireless adapter so the wifi is spread all across the house

Solution
First of all, you really need to upgrade internet speed (5mbs is required for full HD streaming - you can check against netflix server to see your real internet speed on www.fast.com ). Second, not using does not mean it is not connected to wifi (there is something called air time and bandwidth which affect speed over wifi on all devices connected to a wifi router - that means that an old device just connected to router could affect speed of a new faster device on same router). Also try using cable on PC. You could try to configure QoS on router or at least to enable WMM to prioritize the streaming data.

kanewolf

Titan
I have 10mb/s internet connection at home and I have 4 android phones,1 iphone, 1pad and 1 pc connected to it but not all are using the internet at the same time,still I my internet speed is less than 10mb/s but when I do speed check it shows full speed. My ISP says there id no issue from their end on connection

Please suggest do I need to increase the speed of my internet or should I buy a wireless adapter so the wifi is spread all across the house
If speedtest shows your paid for speed, what problem do you see? Download speed? Remember that downloads are in bytes and speed test is bits. So your 10Mb internet speed is about a 1MB/s download speed.

Reactions: helpstar

Sabin_1989

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
If speedtest shows your paid for speed, what problem do you see? Download speed? Remember that downloads are in bytes and speed test is bits. So your 10 MB internet speed is about a 1 MB/s download speed.
Actually my net is slow overall, during downloads I get around 300-500 kbps, but when I watch videos online or on apps like Hotstar, Amazon prime or Facebook videos,sometimes it plays nicely but sometimes it keeps on buffering...I am not able to understand whats is the problem please suggest.

kanewolf

Titan
Actually my net is slow overall, during downloads I get around 300-500 kbps, but when I watch videos online or on apps like Hotstar, Amazon prime or Facebook videos,sometimes it plays nicely but sometimes it keeps on buffering...I am not able to understand whats is the problem please suggest.
Unknown. You could have WIFI interference from externals or be fully utilizing your 10Mbit bandwidth. You are going to have to do more detective work on your side. Start by using a wired connection from the PC. See if you have more stability.
What model router do you have?

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
First of all, you really need to upgrade internet speed (5mbs is required for full HD streaming - you can check against netflix server to see your real internet speed on www.fast.com ). Second, not using does not mean it is not connected to wifi (there is something called air time and bandwidth which affect speed over wifi on all devices connected to a wifi router - that means that an old device just connected to router could affect speed of a new faster device on same router). Also try using cable on PC. You could try to configure QoS on router or at least to enable WMM to prioritize the streaming data.

Solution
least to enable WMM to prioritize the streaming data.
I will agree with most of what you posted but WMM is a complete waste of time. First it really only works if packet have marking on them and there is no marking of data on the internet.

Next and much more important is Netflix,youtube and almost everything else people call "streaming" is not actually a stream. It is much closer to a file transfer than a actual video stream. WMM is based on RTP stream data. This would be used for say video conferencing or VoIP which is seldom used by home users because it is hard to pass through NAT.

Pretty much WMM is another of the many feature you find on home routers that have no purpose and are added to just make the list of features longer I suspect.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I will agree with most of what you posted but WMM is a complete waste of time. First it really only works if packet have marking on them and there is no marking of data on the internet.

Next and much more important is Netflix,youtube and almost everything else people call "streaming" is not actually a stream. It is much closer to a file transfer than a actual video stream. WMM is based on RTP stream data. This would be used for say video conferencing or VoIP which is seldom used by home users because it is hard to pass through NAT.

Pretty much WMM is another of the many feature you find on home routers that have no purpose and are added to just make the list of features longer I suspect.

Wikipedia states:
"Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME), also known as Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM), is a Wi-Fi Alliance interoperability certification, based on the IEEE 802.11e standard. It provides basic Quality of service (QoS) features to IEEE 802.11 networks. WMM prioritizes traffic according to four Access Categories (AC): voice (AC_VO), video (AC_VI), best effort (AC_BE), and background (AC_BK). However, it does not provide guaranteed throughput. It is suitable for well-defined applications that require QoS, such as Voice over IP (VoIP) on Wi-Fi phones (VoWLAN).
------
IEEE 802.11e-2005 or 802.11e is an approved amendment to the IEEE 802.11 standard that defines a set of quality of service (QoS) enhancements for wireless LAN applications through modifications to the media access control (MAC) layer.The standard is considered of critical importance for delay-sensitive applications, such as Voice over Wireless LAN and streaming multimedia."

So if the router is IEEE 802.11e compliant and implement correctly the WMM, then he should see an improvement (but we still did not account any interference he might have)...

About netflix... i do not have/use it, so i have to take your word for it....for now. Maybe someone will play with wireshark to see exactly how they transfer data...

Last edited:
Wikipedia states:
"Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME), also known as Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM), is a Wi-Fi Alliance interoperability certification, based on the IEEE 802.11e standard. It provides basic Quality of service (QoS) features to IEEE 802.11 networks. WMM prioritizes traffic according to four Access Categories (AC): voice (AC_VO), video (AC_VI), best effort (AC_BE), and background (AC_BK). However, it does not provide guaranteed throughput. It is suitable for well-defined applications that require QoS, such as Voice over IP (VoIP) on Wi-Fi phones (VoWLAN).
------
IEEE 802.11e-2005 or 802.11e is an approved amendment to the IEEE 802.11 standard that defines a set of quality of service (QoS) enhancements for wireless LAN applications through modifications to the media access control (MAC) layer.The standard is considered of critical importance for delay-sensitive applications, such as Voice over Wireless LAN and streaming multimedia."

So if the router is IEEE 802.11e compliant and implement correctly the WMM, then he should see an improvement (but we still did not account any interference he might have)...

About netflix... i do not have/use it, so i have to take your word for it....for now. Maybe someone will play with wireshark to see exactly how they transfer data...
I know all about this standard I have held many professional wifi certifications. Question is do you understand what you cut and paste.

All the QoS is all well and good but there are no markings on the packets so wmm will dump everything into what ever queue a DSCP marking of "0" translates to. WMM has no way to know what is video or voice etc etc unless some other mechanism marks the packet. Even if there was some mechanism to mark these packets Voice and Video refer to types of real time traffic. It is all UDP netflix and everything else uses TCP.

Even if WMM was the best things ever it makes absolutely no difference. It only applies between the router and the end device on the wifi. The internet connection does not run wmm. The wifi is massively faster than the internet especially in this case. The data is being lost and delays on the internet. By the time it gets to the router to be sent over the wifi there is no data queues to worry about.