WiFi Continually Disconnects

Robert

I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10 minutes i
loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it, the
laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's own
network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only the
beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then re-enable my
Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't connected
to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
connection is still recognised as disconnected.
Anyone any ideas?

P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses 802.11b
have anything to do with it?

--
System:
Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook

Robert,
I was having similar difficulties. My WiFi router is D-Link DI 524 and my
desktop system is a Linksys WiFi card.

I upgraded the router firmware, and configured it to use channel 8. One or
the other of those two changes has completely eliminated the dropped
connections.

Michael Giroux
"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
> minutes i
> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
> the
> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's own
> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only the
> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then re-enable
> my
> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
> connected
> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
> Anyone any ideas?
>
> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses 802.11b
> have anything to do with it?
>
> --
> System:
> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
> AMD mobile 64 2800
> 80Gb HDD
> 512Mb Ram
> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

Robert,
I made one other change that I forgot to mention. I upgraded to XP SP2.

Michael
"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
> minutes i
> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
> the
> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's own
> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only the
> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then re-enable
> my
> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
> connected
> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
> Anyone any ideas?
>
> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses 802.11b
> have anything to do with it?
>
> --
> System:
> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
> AMD mobile 64 2800
> 80Gb HDD
> 512Mb Ram
> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

That was probably the solution.
I had frequent disconnects before I installed SP2, and
it never happened ever since.

"Michael Giroux" <mlgiroux@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
uum0MSUhEHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Robert,
> I made one other change that I forgot to mention. I upgraded to XP SP2.
>
> Michael
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently upgraded my router (Speedtouch 545) to make it WiFi compatible,
>> however all is not well. After about being connected for about 5-10
>> minutes i
>> loss the connection on my laptop which uses its own WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI
>> Module (made by invilink) and no matter what i do i can't seem to fix it,
>> the
>> laptop only comes with drivers for the card, so i have to use Win XP's
>> own
>> network configuration utility to set up the connection. But thats only
>> the
>> beginning, when i want to reconnect i first need to disable then
>> re-enable my
>> Wlan connection then do the same for my Lan (which by the way isn't
>> connected
>> to any other PC's), this is because whenever i use the Win XP network
>> configuration utility to reconnect, it connects to the network, my WiFi
>> connection is still recognised as disconnected.
>> Anyone any ideas?
>>
>> P.S. Could the fact that my laptop uses 802.11g and my router uses
>> 802.11b
>> have anything to do with it?
>>
>> --
>> System:
>> Acer Ferrari 3200 Notebook
>> AMD mobile 64 2800
>> 80Gb HDD
>> 512Mb Ram
>> ATI 9700 128Mb Mobile
>> WinXP Home Build 5.1 2600 SP2

Robert

I already have SP2 installed so i really don't know what to do

Robert wrote:
> I already have SP2 installed so i really don't know what to do

Is "Enable IEEE802.1x authentication..." unset for the NIC ( and all NICs in
the network). This seems to be often set ( mistakenly ) by default and I
think can cause the kind of symptoms you are having.

--
Brian Sullivan
Meeting by Wire ( http://www.meetingbywire.com)