wifi detection not working

andybliss_uk

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
I have an HP laptop that used to search and display available WIFI connections. That suddenly stopped working and even if you click on the icon or go via Control panel nothing happens - not even a list comes up. Doesn't even react to the mouse click. However, you can use the manually connect option and it works. Using Windows 8. Any idea how to get it back?

Solution

I had went on my laptop that had an issue with internet connection....I was connected to my wi-fi, but only on a local level. I thought it was fixed but apparently it wasn't. I did some research, and did the following to fix it:

Go to the Command Prompt, 'Run as Administrator'. Do each one of the following commands, allowing the command to finish before you proceed to the next.

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

I did this and it worked for me, I'm not sure how or...

brooklynsfinest

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
This happened to be recently on a Windows Vista HP laptop I sometimes use, what do you mean by manually connect? Like an ethernet? Or manual connect to put in your wifi properties? Is your Wifi switch on the laptop on? ( I did that once went crazy and realized I must've hit the button by accident). Did you try doing a system restore? Have you done any Windows Updates lately?

andybliss_uk

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
By Manually connect, I mean via the Control Panel > Network and Internet > Set up a New Connection > Manually connect to a new WIFI. This works OK and persists on reboots. However if I go away on business to a hotel I have to manually go through this process. The icon shows "Networks available", but it won't respond to mouse clicks. Also, within Control Centre > Network and Internet there are various options where it offers to display all the networks it claims to have found, but again fails to respond to the mouse click or Enter Key. It's as if the software that actually displays the networks on the screen is corrupt or missing, but with the actual WiFi itself working. WiFi switch is on, tried system restore - didn't work, no Windows update

andybliss_uk

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks for your help, but none of the solutions in that other thread worked. Network discovery is on and messages generally say that "networks have been found", it just won't display the results.

brooklynsfinest

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I had went on my laptop that had an issue with internet connection....I was connected to my wi-fi, but only on a local level. I thought it was fixed but apparently it wasn't. I did some research, and did the following to fix it:

Go to the Command Prompt, 'Run as Administrator'. Do each one of the following commands, allowing the command to finish before you proceed to the next.

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

I did this and it worked for me, I'm not sure how or why, but I know "flushing DNS" is like resetting your connection, sort of, at least that's the impression I get (could be completely wrong), but I know it resets something and has worked for me. Worth a try, it only took me about 60 seconds to do. I would keep doing some google research, there has to be someone who had a similiar problem that found a resolution.

Solution