Question Wifi disconnected on reboot. "Unable to connect to this network" ?

hujohner

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Hello,
I recently moved my wifi dongle from a USB 3.2 port to a 2.0 port to make way for more open ports as the dongle is old enough to only need 2.0. But now I am having connection issues. First of, after every restart, the wifi connection is gone for a couple of minutes, even though when I manually try connecting I have my network as an option but trying to connect gives me the error "Unable to connect to this network". I also noticed that sometimes the connection randomly drops (again same symptoms networks available but trying to connect gives an error).

I am not sure what causes this behaviour as I didn't make any system changes (other than moving USBs around and adding a USB 2.0 hub) and it is very annoying having to wait a couple of minutes after a restart before being able to use the PC.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it somehow relates to the USB port as switching it back to the USB 3.2 port it works fine again!

Last edited:
Hello,
I recently moved my wifi dongle from a USB 3.2 port to a 2.0 port to make way for more open ports as the dongle is old enough to only need 2.0. But now I am having connection issues. First of, after every restart, the wifi connection is gone for a couple of minutes, even though when I manually try connecting I have my network as an option but trying to connect gives me the error "Unable to connect to this network". I also noticed that sometimes the connection randomly drops (again same symptoms networks available but trying to connect gives an error).

I am not sure what causes this behaviour as I didn't make any system changes (other than moving USBs around and adding a USB 2.0 hub) and it is very annoying having to wait a couple of minutes after a restart before being able to use the PC.

EDIT: Just confirmed that it somehow relates to the USB port as switching it back to the USB 3.2 port it works fine again!
It may have to do with the hub.

Ralston18

Titan
It does not take much to cause problems with those small USB network adapters....

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB network adapter up and away from the computer.

Just a change in the location may help with reception and, more importantly, transmission.

hujohner

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Are you plugging your dongle into the hub?

No, the wifi dongle is plugged into the motherboard.

It may have to do with the hub.

As I mentioned in the EDIT it is almost certainly not the hub. I still don't quite understand why the behaviour is like that.

It does not take much to cause problems with those small USB network adapters....

Try using a USB extension cable to move the USB network adapter up and away from the computer.

Just a change in the location may help with reception and, more importantly, transmission.

It already is connected to the manufactures extension cable that came with the stick. So the location was exactly the same in both scenarios.

Latest posts