Question WiFi disconnects from my PC only; other devices stay connected. Requires manual router restart to reconnect.

Adam576

Prominent
Oct 28, 2022
This issue occurs mainly once a day, but rarely it can be weeks before it happens again. My WiFi frequently disconnects from my PC only, and when I try to reconnect, it displays messages like "No internet, secured." or "Can't connect to this network." The only temporary solution I have found is to restart the router, but the problem resurfaces soon after. All other devices on the network are completely fine. It feels like there is a data limit, but there isn't.

I have tried various troubleshooting steps, such as using command prompt commands like netsh winsock reset, network reset, forget WiFi, searching the internet for solutions, purchasing new internet adapters, setting a static IP and DNS server manually, performing a complete reset of my PC, and upgrading to Windows 11. I have also followed tutorials on modifying settings in regedit and services.

I am using the BTHub5 router, and I'm currently on Windows 11, utilizing a 5GHz connection. Specifically, I am using the wireless mode of 802.11a/n/ac.

It's worth mentioning that I did not always experience this issue. It started occurring approximately 4-5 months ago. Initially, the problem would come and go sporadically. However, recently it has been persisting for a few weeks. I must say that the 5GHz frequency might be related to this issue, as I switched back to the 2.4GHz mode and was able to connect. I do not use the 2.4GHz mode for my PC due to frequent drops, disconnections, interference, and overall slow WiFi.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Because the distance limit of the 5Ghz band is shorter than the 2.4, try using that band instead. If you are getting disconnects on that band, trying using a different channel in the router for that band.

Adam576

Prominent
Oct 28, 2022
Because the distance limit of the 5Ghz band is shorter than the 2.4, try using that band instead. If you are getting disconnects on that band, trying using a different channel in the router for that band.
I don't believe distance is the issue. I have a constant stable connection using 5Ghz. It's hard to explain, but my internet could stay connected for months at a time without disconnecting. This issue I'm having comes and goes. Whenever it happens I don't get frequent disconnecting in a day, or unstable connection. It only happens once in a day. When it happens It's not possible to connect back, unless I manually restart the router. After restarting, everything will go back to normal, no more disconnecting for another 24 hours. It's almost like a pattern. It's only after so much time this issue occurs again. But in the span of that time, my connection is perfect.

It almost feels like I'm reaching a data limit or I can only use so much wifi in a day, and the only way to reset that limit is by restarting the router. This is just an example of what it feels like. I checked the router settings to see if any child lock for the internet may have been turned on, and there isn't.

As I said, it's almost a pattern. I can sometimes predict the next day which time it will turn off.
I don't know much about this, but could it have to do with my lease renewing or expiring? Because something definitely changes for this issue to occur.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I guess my biggest question is why your 2.4 has so many issues. If that is the case, the first thing I would do is change that channel and leave it running on the 2.4 as a test.
You could also change the 5Ghz channel and see if there is a change. Almost sounds like external interference or channel crowding. Lease issues are not a cause.

Reactions: Adam576

Adam576

Prominent
Oct 28, 2022
I guess my biggest question is why your 2.4 has so many issues. If that is the case, the first thing I would do is change that channel and leave it running on the 2.4 as a test.
You could also change the 5Ghz channel and see if there is a change. Almost sounds like external interference or channel crowding. Lease issues are not a cause.
It's been quite a few days now, and I haven't had the issue. I changed the 5Ghz channel like you said, and set up a static IP again. I think last time I set up the static IP, I did it incorrectly. Thanks for the help and information!

TRENDING THREADS