[SOLVED] Wifi disconnects while downloading big game updates

FallingGravity

Honorable
Jun 5, 2015
Title basically says it all. Every time I try to download a large files, such as an update to a game, my wifi disconnects. And when I go to the bottom right and click on the wifi, it says there are no networks available. The only fix I can find is to just restart my computer, and then it usually is back up and running. Is this potentially a software problem, or is it most likely a hardware issue? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
First of all, go to an application called Device Manager and then look for a selection named Network Adapters, when you press the carrot and expand the tile there should be a device that is most likely your one and only WiFi card. If true, right click and look for an option saying Update Drivers or something like that and press update/upgrade. Let it search for new updates by itself and if it finds any it will automatically download and install them and hopefully fix the issue. If not, please reply to this message.

FallingGravity

Honorable
Jun 5, 2015
First of all, go to an application called Device Manager and then look for a selection named Network Adapters, when you press the carrot and expand the tile there should be a device that is most likely your one and only WiFi card. If true, right click and look for an option saying Update Drivers or something like that and press update/upgrade. Let it search for new updates by itself and if it finds any it will automatically download and install them and hopefully fix the issue. If not, please reply to this message.
It says that I already have the most up to date drivers

If you have replaced the drivers maybe try older ones if you can find them. Try the drivers from the chipset vendor, if you are using the microsoft ones sometimes they are not really the latest.

There is not much else you can change. There really is no other software than the drivers.

My guess would be there is a hardware problem and the device is getting hot when you are using it a lot and the heat is causing some failure. By the time you reboot it cools off.

FallingGravity

Honorable
Jun 5, 2015
If you have replaced the drivers maybe try older ones if you can find them. Try the drivers from the chipset vendor, if you are using the microsoft ones sometimes they are not really the latest.

There is not much else you can change. There really is no other software than the drivers.

My guess would be there is a hardware problem and the device is getting hot when you are using it a lot and the heat is causing some failure. By the time you reboot it cools off.
Very valid theory, not too sure how well my thermals are other than the fact that my GPU and CPU dont thermal throttle. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try and install a fan or two that flows air right across the card, otherwise I might just go for a new wifi card since I have a cheap gigabyte pcie card that is probably just out of date when it comes to wireless standards

TRENDING THREADS