Question Wifi doesn't show up when forcing 5Ghz band

AndroAvi

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
I recently purchased a TP-Link ARCHER T2U AC600 nano, which supports 802.11ac, because my laptop's wifi adapter is the RealtekRTL8723BE which is 802.11n but does not have 5 Ghz support, and the speed difference between 2.4 and 5 is huge.
Now I'm currently using the adapter to connect to my university wifi, which works on dual-band, and has a limitation of 2 users per registration id(of the college). So when I got my new adapter, I went and got my Wi-Fi access reconfigured to work with my new adapter and not my old one, and it was working just fine. This was 2 days ago.
However, today morning, I noticed that my adapter was not detecting my university Wi-Fi anymore, so I uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, and it successfully connected. But the speeds were back to being horrific.
When I checked, I found out that whenever the wifi adapter is set to any mode that supports 5 Ghz band, theuniversity wifi network is not visible to the card, while other 5Ghz SSIDs like my phone's hotstop are visible. Only when its set to 802.11b/g/n, the university Wi-Fi is visible.
This defeats the purpose of my buying it in the first place.
Furthermore, when I use my new wifi adapter in any other laptop, it can still detect and connect to the 5 Ghz band of my university wifi just fine.
I would like to mention that all of the reconfiguration etc is admin controlled through the server room in my university campus, although I'm suspicious , I don't have the technical knowledge to determine whether he could restrict such a thing to a particular laptop with a particular wifi adapter.
laptop model is : Asus R558UF -Intel i5 6200u, Nvidia Geforce 930m, 8 gigs of ram, 1 tb storage.
laptop's inbuilt Wifi adapter is RealtekRTL8723BE 802.11n with only 2.4Ghz support.
New wifi Adapter : T-Link ARCHER T2U-AC600 nano with 802.11a/ac/n/b/g.
Current operating system: Windows 10 build 1903
Latest drivers for the wifi Adapter are already installed.

What I've tried so far to no avail:
  • Uninstalling, reinstalling drivers provided with the adapter and the online ones at support website if TP-LINK.
  • Uninstalling and replugging to install the default driver.
  • Installed a version of the driver on a friend's laptop and when it worked on his, used the same driver on mine.
I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

I beleive it is the reception of the 5ghz signal holding you back. 2.5ghz is great because it goes through walls and throws it signal farther and easier. 5ghz signal can degrade starting from 15 feet from the source. The farther you are away from the source with 5ghz the harder it is to receive and use it. https://windowsreport.com/fix-wifi-not-working-laptop/ <-----here is a good article to read with troubleshooting.

AndroAvi

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
I beleive it is the reception of the 5ghz signal holding you back. 2.5ghz is great because it goes through walls and throws it signal farther and easier. 5ghz signal can degrade starting from 15 feet from the source. The farther you are away from the source with 5ghz the harder it is to receive and use it. https://windowsreport.com/fix-wifi-not-working-laptop/ <-----here is a good article to read with troubleshooting.
We actually have a router for every room in our hostel