Question Wifi dropping out completely randomly on new MSI Pro B650-P Wifi motherboard

TheSpaceBetween

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,

I have just built a new system and have an MSI B650-P Pro Wifi motherboard and Windows 11 Pro installed.

Whenever I'm using the internet, usually during heavier usage but not always, (could be 10 minutes into streaming spotify or 3 hours into heavy downloads) my wifi disconnects. When I click on Wifi, it says “No networks are available” even though all my other devices are connected and fine + there are multiple wifi networks in range.

Whenever this happens, I get an Event View warning in System logs:

Event ID 1014 DNS Client Events.
"Name resolution for the name_idap._tcp.dc.msdcs.myfiosgateway.com timed out after non of the configured DNS servers responded. Client PID 2000"

Restarting the computer immediately fixes the issue

I’ve tried re-installing drivers, LAN, BIOS, ensuring windows 11 is up to date including optional updates, changing power setting, flushing dns, resetting router, resetting modem, backdating drivers, NETSH winsock reset, ensuring WwanSvc Autoconfig is set to automatic, clearing CMOS, removing the motherboard from the case, and right clicking the inf driver file to install.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model information for modem and router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Ensure that only the wireless network adapter is enabled on the new system.

Disable IPv6.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Note: You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retyping it all.

TheSpaceBetween

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Make and model information for modem and router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Ensure that only the wireless network adapter is enabled on the new system.

Disable IPv6.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.

Note: You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retyping it all.

Thank you so much for your reply!

The router is a Verizon Fios G3100. I have admin control over it. I tried disabling IPV6 but it's still happening/

When you say ensure that the only wireless network adapter is enabled on the system what, how would I check that. I mean the internet works for a short period of time but just cuts out eventually and then all wifi networks it cant find.

Wouldn't the fact that it's only happening on my new system indicate it's probably something wrong on my computer not the router though? Here's my ipconfig /all log

Code:
Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mynetworksettings.com
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RZ616 Wi-Fi 6E 160MHz #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-50-DE-E8-22-89
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4c4:8d0a:7162:3fb0%7(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.163(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 8, 2022 10:06:15 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 9, 2022 11:04:08 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 447500510
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2A-07-BB-D5-04-7C-16-48-31-15
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 04-7C-16-48-31-15
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ralston18

Titan
How many other wired and wireless devices on the network? Please clarify: only your new PC is affected - correct?

Connection-specific DNS Suffix = mynetworksettings.com ?

Who is your ISP? The presen/current "mynetworksettings.com" value does not seem right. Noted myfiosgateway.com in your original post - that would be Verizon - correct?

As for network adapters (wired and wireless) you can access those adapters by right-clicking the network icon usually located in the lower right hand corner. (Looks more like a monitor to me....)

Then select Open Network and Internet settings. Down below "Status" there is choice = "Advanced network settings" . Then select "Change adapter options".

The resulting screen should indicate the existing network adapters and whether or not any given adapter is enabled. There should only be one network adapter enabled. Clicking any given adapter should reveal additional windows, tabs, and property screens used to configure the adapter.

According to "ipconfig /all" the new system is using the wireless network adapter and being assigned a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.163 via the router at 192.168.1.1. Normal. The lease time is only 25 hours - should not make a difference but the lease time should be increased to the maximum allowed by the router.

IPv6 is still enabled on the network adapter and you should use the network adapter's configuration screens/menus to disable IPv6.

Reading back, I believe that there are two immediate things to be done:

1) Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

2) Reinstall the drivers for the wireless network adapter.

This wireless network adapter (from "ipconfig /all") ?

https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/do...hinkpad-z13-type-21d2-21d3-z16-type-21d4-21d5

Do verify that I found the correct link for the drivers.