NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Hey guys,

I've just last week built this new pc and been having this issue where my wifi keeps dropping off for like 5/10 seconds every so often. I'll be playing a game or on a discord call and the call will go silent for that time and i'll disconnect from game servers. Now the weird thing is my wifi icon in the taskbar never indicates i've lost connection, but you can see in task manager where it drops out (attached image). Any ideas what could be the cause of this? I suppose it could be dodgy internet as I know theres been a lot of issues with Virgin the past couple days but for some reason i doubt this is the case.

View: https://imgur.com/a/VIzc2IV

New build includes Asus Maximus XII Hero Mobo with onboard wifi 6 AX201 160mhz.

Solution
First off, try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard. If you have versions pending, take note of when to also install MEI prior to the next BIOS version in the ladder. Once BIOS is up to date, make sure your OS is up to date. We're currently on version 20H2 for Windows 10.

After that, reinstall your wireless adapters drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If you're still experiencing the network dropping issue, make sure your router is on the latest firmware. Often times ISP's also have a network issue on their end, which detracts data being sent or received.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard. If you have versions pending, take note of when to also install MEI prior to the next BIOS version in the ladder. Once BIOS is up to date, make sure your OS is up to date. We're currently on version 20H2 for Windows 10.

After that, reinstall your wireless adapters drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If you're still experiencing the network dropping issue, make sure your router is on the latest firmware. Often times ISP's also have a network issue on their end, which detracts data being sent or received.

Solution

NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016

I'll try this today, thank you. Also do you think you can elaborate on the MEI bit please? That's all new to me and I don't want to mess anything up