Wifi drops after closing laptop lid and opening again (Windows 7)

jigsaw121

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
Ok so here's the problem. I can connect to my Wifi with good signals and the internet works just fine UNTIL I close the lid and then open it again. Then the connection changes to 'Unidentified network' and 'No Internet Access'. (The internet only stops working on the laptop; it works fine on my smartphone and other devices). I tried turning off the Wifi adapter, removing and adding the wireless network again, but nothing works. The only way I can fix it is if I reset my router. Why does this happen? Any ideas on what I can do to find a permanent fix. Resetting the router every time I open the lid is not going to cut it.

Solution
Make and model laptop?

When you close the lid is there some power saving mode that turns off the wifi card's power?

Check the power settings.

You might also check the Event Viewer and see if any error messages or warnings are logged at the time you close the lid.

Barring the above, about the only other thing I can think of is some physical problem that, when the lid is closed, interrupts the circuitry and connectivity is lost. But the software believes the network is still there but only until the router is off/reset and the wireless signal is truly lost.

When you open the lid again, the laptop looks for the router, finds it, requests and receives an IP address and all is good again.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop?

When you close the lid is there some power saving mode that turns off the wifi card's power?

Check the power settings.

You might also check the Event Viewer and see if any error messages or warnings are logged at the time you close the lid.

Barring the above, about the only other thing I can think of is some physical problem that, when the lid is closed, interrupts the circuitry and connectivity is lost. But the software believes the network is still there but only until the router is off/reset and the wireless signal is truly lost.

When you open the lid again, the laptop looks for the router, finds it, requests and receives an IP address and all is good again.

Solution