[SOLVED] Wifi drops out when ethernet is connected

JFtech

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I've tried this on 4 different routers (home network). I connect one PC to the router via ethernet cable, and for the first few hours everything is fine.. ethernet and wifi both work flawlessly. Then some hours later, no devices can connect to the router wirelessly, but ethernet still works. In order to get wifi working again, I have to unplug the ethernet cable and restart the router.

If I only use wifi for all devices and don't use ethernet, there are never any issues.

My initial thought was a faulty router, but after going through 3 brand new routers and experiencing the same issue on each one, surely this can't be the case? I just have no idea what's going on. Any help would be really appreciated.

Solution
Either you have some firewall head device that is doing some fancy filtering blah-blah and you are not disclosing, or one of your Ethernet devices is beaconing (rare these days).

To test for the second of course one asks, "which Ethernet device is causing?" u can unplug one at a time, or I would LOOK at the LED by the RJ45, is the activity LED blinking furiously even though you are not currently doing anything on that device, THAT'S IT.

I also pontificate W10 machines should have W10-specific drivers from the Mobo's vendor, not Microsoft. If it's a factory-made then Dell, HP blah-blah.
Either you have some firewall head device that is doing some fancy filtering blah-blah and you are not disclosing, or one of your Ethernet devices is beaconing (rare these days).

To test for the second of course one asks, "which Ethernet device is causing?" u can unplug one at a time, or I would LOOK at the LED by the RJ45, is the activity LED blinking furiously even though you are not currently doing anything on that device, THAT'S IT.

I also pontificate W10 machines should have W10-specific drivers from the Mobo's vendor, not Microsoft. If it's a factory-made then Dell, HP blah-blah.

Solution