Question WIFI DROPS Whenever I Launch Games on PC

Jan 22, 2021
Long story short, I live in an apartment near my college. I had a good pc, pc broke. I'm now using my laptop but my issue is, whenever I launch a game my wifi begins to drop like crazy. On my laptop, my download speed is usually 20 mbps (not great in the first place). When I open a game, that mbps drops down to about 1 or even <1. While this is happening, speed test on my phone says 30-50. Obviously something is going on with my laptop, I'm just not sure what it is!

Ralston18

Titan
What happens if you use a wired connection to the laptop?

On the laptop: verify that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless (as desired/required) is enabled.

Not both wireless and wired at the same time.

Next, go to the applicable manufacturer's website to manually download the network adapter drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Jan 22, 2021
What happens if you use a wired connection to the laptop?

On the laptop: verify that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless (as desired/required) is enabled.

Not both wireless and wired at the same time.

Next, go to the applicable manufacturer's website to manually download the network adapter drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure.

There's no ethernet ports here at my apartment, wifi is all we got. Wifi will drop from 30-50 to about 0-2 when I launch a game. I did all the things you mentioned and nothing is working. Literally once I launch a game, my pc starts to stutter and the speeds drop. The second I close it, my speeds skyrocket.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router. You will need help from that person.

Also double check the wireless network adapter configuration settings. What wireless frequency and channel is being used? There could be interference with someone else's network using the same frequency and channel.

Jan 22, 2021
I live in an apartment and I use their wifi. I am unsure/unable to check out the router situation. I don't really understand what you mean by the other settings. Things were fine when I was on my PC but when that broke and now I'm using my laptop, now I have major wifi issues. I tested some things about, when I launch MW2, my wifi is fine. if I launch MMORPGS like eso and new world, thats when my wifi dips like crazy.

D

Deleted member 1560910

I live in an apartment and I use their wifi. I am unsure/unable to check out the router situation. I don't really understand what you mean by the other settings. Things were fine when I was on my PC but when that broke and now I'm using my laptop, now I have major wifi issues. I tested some things about, when I launch MW2, my wifi is fine. if I launch MMORPGS like eso and new world, thats when my wifi dips like crazy.
THey make ethernet cords over 300 ft try to make it work

D

Deleted member 1560910

Not everyone can afford an additional $70/mo. Not to mention that I'm not even sure if this is a wifi issue or an issue with my laptop.
Your in college yes ? Do you need a solid connect ? Can you work without a unstable connection ? Call mom and dad ?