[SOLVED] Wifi equipped mobo causing confusion

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
I have just installed a B550 board with WiFi & BT.,
However, I always had a wired connection to the computer and prefer it that way, but with the wired connection still place, I can no longer receive the wired signal, only wifi.
The wifi I want for other reasons and I feel the wired connection to the main computer itself, is more secure and certainly a bit faster.
What should I do to restore the wired connection , whilst still getting the benefit of the WiFi & BT for otherpurposes.

Thanks

Solution
However, I always had a wired connection to the computer and prefer it that way, but with the wired connection still place, I can no longer receive the wired signal, only wifi.
The wifi I want for other reasons and I feel the wired connection to the main computer itself, is more secure and certainly a bit faster.
What should I do to restore the wired connection , whilst still getting the benefit of the WiFi & BT for otherpurposes.

Thanks
You might need to change the network adapter priority order, I have had to do this before when my lame WiFi connection decided to take over from my Gigabit ethernet for shunting data around the network.

Here is a simple to follow guide...

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Which specific board do you have?
I assume that you have already installed the LAN driver.
HERE are a couple of ways to change the adapter order, although Ethernet should be the default first choice.
Which specific board do you have?
I assume that you have already installed the LAN driver.
HERE are a couple of ways to change the adapter order, although Ethernet should be the default first choice.
The board is an ASUS B550-E and all drivers are in place

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
The LAN adapter on your board is known to have issues, not sure how well worked out things are yet, but HERE are the current Intel recommendations.
Thanks for that pointer. Have had a look and will attempt it in a little while. Just had a look in Device manager and find the Ethernet Controller has no driver, although BT & Wifi are in place and ok. My only problem with the Intel website is the amounnt of stuff available can become confusing. Just wondered how do I find out which version of Ethernet controller driver I need to download.
I did check on Intel's automated checker and it just tells me that BT&Wifi drivers are up to date. It doesn't pick up the fact that Ethernet is missing.

RealBeast

Titan
I would start with THIS driver from ASUS. Clicking will auto download the zipped driver.

And THIS is the latest Intel adapter driver for your adapter, but they seem to recommend the one from ASUS, along with a firmware update to v1.45 if needed.

So, I would just try the ASUS driver first and that may just do it. And it should make the Ethernet adapter 1st in the priority list once the driver is installed fully.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020

Thanks
You might need to change the network adapter priority order, I have had to do this before when my lame WiFi connection decided to take over from my Gigabit ethernet for shunting data around the network.

Here is a simple to follow guide.

Good luck.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-priority-order-network-adapters-windows-10

Solution

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
I would start with THIS driver from ASUS. Clicking will auto download the zipped driver.

And THIS is the latest Intel adapter driver for your adapter, but they seem to recommend the one from ASUS, along with a firmware update to v1.45 if needed.

So, I would just try the ASUS driver first and that may just do it. And it should make the Ethernet adapter 1st in the priority list once the driver is installed fully.
Real Beast. Firstly let me thank you for your brilliant responses, from which I have learned a great deal

As I said I changed motherboard and also did a clean install. It was aftewr I was up and running, that I noted the wifi 'replacing' the wired ethernet, which I have had the problems with. You can image the 'catchup' time I had with getting all the updates and the final update '20H2'. Having just installed that final update,I find to my joy that an ethernet symbol in the taskbar had replaced the WiFi icon!
I don't understand why that update automatically resolved the problem and equally, don't understand why it disappeared in the first place.
But as I said, I have learned a lot from your responses and thank you once again for your efforts for me.

Reactions: RealBeast

kgnimbus

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Reactions: TheJoker2020