[SOLVED] wifi extender with network ports

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, i'm looking at this netgear EX7700 wifi extender that has 2 network ports. would I be able to plug this netgear extender to one of my network ports leading to my router and have all devices connected to this extender communicate with the main wifi router through the wired connection rather than wifi? I hope i'm explaining this properly.

Solution
ok so both do the same thing. the question is, do I want a wired connection or wireless connection between the extender/AP and the main router. is that all it boils down to?
That is the primary discriminator. An access point (any brand) uses a wired connection, and an extender uses a wireless connection.
Wireless extenders have poor performance compared to access points. Having to simultaneously do to wireless connections (each of which is 1/2 duplex) cuts performance in half. Wired connections to the primary network don't have the performance problems.

kanewolf

Titan

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
yes you're right cool. but this wouldn't make the connection any faster right? it would be limited to the speed of the device's wifi capabilities. but the wired connection between extender and router would be more stable. Am I right on this?

kanewolf

Titan
yes you're right cool. but this wouldn't make the connection any faster right? it would be limited to the speed of the device's wifi capabilities. but the wired connection between extender and router would be more stable. Am I right on this?
You would be using it as an access point. It is kind of expensive to run as an access point. You could get one of these -- https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ubiquiti-unifi-uap-ac-lite-ieee-802-11ac-867-mbit-s/11532011 and save $60

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
so what is the difference between an access point and extender? basically I have my modem and router in the basement and when my wife goes outside with her ipad, the connection is flaky. she wants me to fix that. so I figured I needed an extender. should I be getting an access point?

kanewolf

Titan
so what is the difference between an access point and extender? basically I have my modem and router in the basement and when my wife goes outside with her ipad, the connection is flaky. she wants me to fix that. so I figured I needed an extender. should I be getting an access point?
The difference is the way it is tied to the main network. An extender has a WIFI connection to the primary network. An access point uses a wired connection back to the primary network.

kanewolf

Titan
ok so both do the same thing. the question is, do I want a wired connection or wireless connection between the extender/AP and the main router. is that all it boils down to?
That is the primary discriminator. An access point (any brand) uses a wired connection, and an extender uses a wireless connection.
Wireless extenders have poor performance compared to access points. Having to simultaneously do to wireless connections (each of which is 1/2 duplex) cuts performance in half. Wired connections to the primary network don't have the performance problems.

Solution