[SOLVED] WIFI Extender.

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Is there a WIFI network extender that doesn't require you to create a new network? I want one that just extends my routers WIFI as I get farther away from the router. I bought a Netgear AC1200 WIFI range extender but it makes me create a new network when setting it up and also going into the settings of each device and changing over to the new network. That works but if I bring my tablet in range of my router it won't use that WIFI signal unless I go into the tablets settings and select the routers network again. I don't want two networks just one network that covers my whole house.

Last edited:
Solution
You can probably set the channels manually and give them the same ssid, but you'll still most likely need to turn off the wifi and re-enable to have it connect to the stronger channel. It will still likely try to latch onto the original wifi unless the client device is smart enough to roam on it's own.

If you have a newer iPhone or higher end Android, or Windows 10 laptop with compatible hardware, you might be able to use "Fast Roaming" which has 3 protocols that allow for quicker handoff of your laptop from one access point to another.
  1. 802.11k which provides an access point list to the laptop.
  2. 802.11v which provides access point signal information.
  3. 802.11r which negotiates the handoff and reauthenticaton.

In the...
You can probably set the channels manually and give them the same ssid, but you'll still most likely need to turn off the wifi and re-enable to have it connect to the stronger channel. It will still likely try to latch onto the original wifi unless the client device is smart enough to roam on it's own.

If you have a newer iPhone or higher end Android, or Windows 10 laptop with compatible hardware, you might be able to use "Fast Roaming" which has 3 protocols that allow for quicker handoff of your laptop from one access point to another.
  1. 802.11k which provides an access point list to the laptop.
  2. 802.11v which provides access point signal information.
  3. 802.11r which negotiates the handoff and reauthenticaton.

In the end is always up to the client device to decide when to switch, but with fast roaming, it gives the gives the client an opportunity to make an informed decision for a smoother handoff. I use ubiquiti equipment for this, and my network is very seamless and smooth when roaming.

Some MESH networks will use their own logic to kick off clients based on their RSSI signal strength, and then have them auto-roam to the other access point. This is hit or miss for many systems. Some work great, some not so much. The algorithm isn't standardized like fast roaming so results will vary from system to system.

What's in common, though, is that you need to buy a wifi system, or buy hardware that's actually designed to operate together for fast roaming. Otherwise, you need to manually turn off and On your wifi, or manually swap networks. Personally, if you don't want to buy a new system, I would just keep the name separate and manually switch between networks after you move your laptop.

Solution

tae111

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Ok so I'm going to answer my own question. It seems I needed way more education before buying a WIFI extender. Regular network extenders require two networks to function. Something not mentioned in their listings. In order to have a seamless single WIFI network you have to purchase a WIFI mesh system extender. Of course they are at least twice the price. I actually purchased the Netgear extender to boost the performance of a Ring video doorbell. That doorbell is going to be pretty expensive once I'm done.

Do you actually need seamless roaming? I typically plop my laptop down in the spot I'm going to use it, but not generally making calls or video conferencing while walking around the house.

My phone and tablet are probably the only devices where seamless fast roaming is really nice. I don't have to turn off/on the wifi for it to latch to a better signal. Everything else in the house is fairly stationary.

Before you drop the cash, I would do some serious research on which wifi system will work best for you. I don't really like mesh systems. If you do use a mesh system, I prefer some sort of wired backhaul to each node, be it ethernet, MOCA(coax) or powerline. In that order of reliability and performance.