Wifi faster than ethernet?

Aug 11, 2018
I have a 300mb/s internet package through my provider. I run a Netgear Nighthawk R7300 without the DST. My wireless devices all show a 5g wifi speed around 250mb/s (as expected) but my hardwired ethernet devices can’t break 97mb/s. This includes my PC on a new 3ft CAT 6 and my PS4 using wall internal ethernet cable downstairs (all wires have been replaced included external and underground). I have tried direct wiring modem to PC and resetting both (for IP address) but it stayed the same. All drivers are up to date.

Are there network or router settings I need to setup to get my ethernet speed to do what it is supposed to? Firewall maybe? TCP? Please help. Windows 10 home version, MSI z270a Pro.

As I am sure you know, basic Ethernet comes in 3 flavors ... 1 Gbps, 100 Mbps, and 10 Mbps (Yes, there is 2, 2.5, 5 and 10 Gbps, but they are not as common). With you getting 97 Mbps it sounds like you are stuck on 100 Mbps ... surprising since you have 1 Gbps ports on the router and your computer/PS4.

Why?
1. Ports are set to 100 Mbps ... port speed is an option (Device Manager->Properties->Advanced) on your computer and on the Nighthawk.
2. Bad cable ... even a brand new cable might not be up to snuff.
3. Switch or hub that is limited to 100 Mbps.

These are just some of the most obvious possibilities. It could be something more complicated, but I always rule out the easy stuff first.

TRENDING THREADS