Wifi for 100 unit apt building

bcap01

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
hello, I am looking to figure out how to setup wifi in a 100 unit apartment building. does anyone suggest and particular vendors? also, is it ok to have 1 ISP account for all 100 units?

Solution
You would need to talk to your local ISPs. Yes, you could have one ISP for the entire building. In my area, CDE (Clarksville Department Of Electricity) offers 1000 mbps for $250 per month. If you have Google internet in your area it would be much cheaper. Just communicate with the ISP regarding that you will have that many units or (x amount of people) and you are a business to see what prices they will charge.

1000 mbps could then be strung through the building via ethernet cords to a handful of routers (depending on the layout what would work best). Make sure you get good routers. They would need to have multiple bands, high usage capabilities, password and MAC address protections to keep unauthorized users off.

Doing it that way I...

NBSN

Admirable
You would need to talk to your local ISPs. Yes, you could have one ISP for the entire building. In my area, CDE (Clarksville Department Of Electricity) offers 1000 mbps for $250 per month. If you have Google internet in your area it would be much cheaper. Just communicate with the ISP regarding that you will have that many units or (x amount of people) and you are a business to see what prices they will charge.

1000 mbps could then be strung through the building via ethernet cords to a handful of routers (depending on the layout what would work best). Make sure you get good routers. They would need to have multiple bands, high usage capabilities, password and MAC address protections to keep unauthorized users off.

Doing it that way I would suggest you require the MAC addresses for the users in the area of a particular router in order to prevent them from giving out passwords to random people that visit...which would help prevent the residents from losing internet speeds while also keeping the network safer.

However, it may just be in your best interest to allow the ISP to run ethernet/fiber optic cords through the building to each unit so each of the residents can pay for their own internet. That way they can get whatever speeds they want, you won't have to deal with the bill or any technical issues, and less chance of a unit infecting other units with malware or viruses.

Solution