Question WiFi for Dell XPS 13 9350

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,
I’m having a problem with the Bluetooth on my Dell XPS-13 9350 laptop. After speaking to Dell tech, they believe it may be a faulty WiFi card. Based on some other recommendations, I just purchased an Intel 8265NGW adapter but now realize this may not be compatible with my machine. Can anyone tell me if this will work for me?

Thanks,
Steve K.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you Ivt. I've actually already placed an order for the 8265. I will look for a 6 AX200. In the interim, do you think the 8265 will work or is it just not compatible? I didn't pay much for it so that's not a big deal.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
SKK

Thank you Ivt. I've actually already placed an order for the 8265. I will look for a 6 AX200. In the interim, do you think the 8265 will work or is it just not compatible? I didn't pay much for it so that's not a big deal.

Thanks again, much appreciated,
SKK

Even if the 8265 works, it's still a big deal because it has the old 4x Bluetooth while the AX200 has the newer 5.x Bluetooth. If you use Bluetooth frequently you should stick to the 5.x for better battery life.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Even if the 8265 works, it's still a big deal because it has the old 4x Bluetooth while the AX200 has the newer 5.x Bluetooth. If you use Bluetooth frequently you should stick to the 5.x for better battery life.
Yup Ivt I noticed the BT version 5.x after your reply. I'm still waiting on the 8265 which should be here next week. I will install it to see if it does fix my BT problem. If so, then I will most certainly look into the AX200. If I’m still having BT problems after installing the 8265 then it’s probably not the WiFi card but some other issue. I wish I'd have posted here before order the 8265 but. . . .

Thanks again for you input,
Steve K.

Yup Ivt I noticed the BT version 5.x after your reply. I'm still waiting on the 8265 which should be here next week. I will install it to see if it does fix my BT problem. If so, then I will most certainly look into the AX200. If I’m still having BT problems after installing the 8265 then it’s probably not the WiFi card but some other issue. I wish I'd have posted here before order the 8265 but. . . .

Thanks again for you input,
Steve K.

If the 8265 works fine for you, just keep it.

When you really need Bluetooth 5.x, you can use a dedicated USB Bluetooth adaptor on one of your laptop's available USB port.

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Yup, and I actually have one of those for an older Win7 machine - $2.65, works great, go figure. The reason I didn't go that route from the start is the XPS 13 only has two USB ports and often times I need them both.

Thanks again,
SKK

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Well Good News/Bad News (mostly good). I received the Intel 8825 WiFi adapter today and installed. It works fine.

Here’s the kicker. When I attempted to disconnect the antenna connectors from the old Broadcom WiFi card the left one (white) came off just fine; the right one (black) was very tight. I carefully attempted to disconnect it but the socket that is soldered to the chip ripped of the chip. So now I had a disconnected antenna cable with the socket still inside the cable connector. I had to attempt to pry off/dig out the broken socket that was inside the black antenna connector. After numerous attempts I finally was successful in removing the old “frozen” socket from inside the connector and was able to reconnect the black antenna cable to the new 8825. I fired up the laptop and “whew” – all worked fine (both WiFi and Bluetooth).

Based on other posts, it was suggested I upgrade to the Intel AX200 rather than an 8825 as it is BT 5.0 compliant vs. 4.2. Therefore, it was my original intent that if the 8825 worked I would purchase an AX200 as a “functioning” 8825 would assure me the problem was a bad OEM WiFi chip and not something more serious. BUT, after what happened here I am going to stay with the 8825. I’m just a bit freaked over breaking the solder connection on my old chip. So, because for the most part the 8825 does what I want I’m OKAY for now – kind of “if it works don’t fix it”. . .

Thanks all,
SKK