Wifi for my custom PC?

Dmdally

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there is some sort of device that I could install onto my motherboard/LAN Port that would allow me to receive a wireless WiFi signal (maybe even a 802.11 ac, that would be awesome!). I don't have a wall plugin to connect my PC to so that's why I was wondering. Thanks!

Solution
You have a number of choices:

#1 Use a USB wireless adapter (easiest solution)
#2 Use an internal wireless adapter (must open of the case to install, will need to know what expansion slots you have available)
#3 Connect your LAN port to a wireless bridge (sometimes referred to as a wireless gaming adapter)

If you are new to hardware, #1 is the best choice.
You have a number of choices:

#1 Use a USB wireless adapter (easiest solution)
#2 Use an internal wireless adapter (must open of the case to install, will need to know what expansion slots you have available)
#3 Connect your LAN port to a wireless bridge (sometimes referred to as a wireless gaming adapter)

If you are new to hardware, #1 is the best choice.

Solution

Dmdally

Honorable
May 14, 2012
kk thanks for all the help. ohh and while Im thinking about it I had another quick question. If I get two ASUS Radeon HD 7850 Graphics Cards and install them on a mobo that supports SLI and has two 3.0x16 PCIe slots, would I be able to connect them using SLI even though they are AMD not Nvidia.

Nvidia = SLI
AMD = CrossFireX

Yes, you can crossfire two AMD cards, but the 2nd PCIe slot only runs at 4x. You may want to consider just getting one fast card instead of trying to do CrossFire.

Now that I've actually looked at pictures of your motherboard, you should be aware that your PCI slots are between your PCIe slots. If you do end up running two graphics cards in the PCIe slots, you not going to want a wireless PCI card in between... assuming it would even fit.