[SOLVED] Wifi Frequently Dropping then Restarting

Aug 7, 2020
Glad I found this board; I can use some help.
About a month ago my previously rock solid internet connection started getting flaky. Random loss of my internet connection, (both wifi and ethernet), that would require a reboot of my router. This behavior has been happening with more and more frequency. Today, for example, I lost the internet probably half a dozen times. Sometimes for a few minutes and then it would reconnect on its own; other times I would have to reboot the router.
My ISP is Xfinity; I have a Netgear modem, CM 1100; the router is a TP-Link, Archer A10; and I'm running Windows 10, all the latest updates; Dell XPS13 laptop. Laptop is hard wired into the router. Other devices are all wifi connections: laptops, cell phones, printer, TVs. When the wifi goes down they all do, as well.
With my limited know how, so far I have wired the laptop directly to the modem when I lose connectivity and I regain internet access. So I'm assuming the modem is fine. I have a USB-C to ethernet adapter that I thought might be the issue but I tested another one when the connection was lost and it didn't help.
The router shows an orange LED when the connection is lost, so I'm guessing the router is the problem. Any suggestions? Am I looking at a paperweight? It's only about 14 months old.

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

first thing I would try is to replace the routers PSU (wall wart) with another of the proper power rating and see if its the router that is rebooting or a faulty power cable.
if fresh power still shows the same behavior the only option I see is a faulty router.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

first thing I would try is to replace the routers PSU (wall wart) with another of the proper power rating and see if its the router that is rebooting or a faulty power cable.
if fresh power still shows the same behavior the only option I see is a faulty router.

Solution
Aug 7, 2020
Despite my overall lack of smarts in this area, I'm confident it isn't a power supply issue. To my knowledge the power supply has never cut out on this unit.
I've been in contact with TP Link support desk and they suggested the following:
change the DNS server from default to another address they specified; and change the channel and channel width for both bandwidths. I did and it made a noticeable difference for two days. Today, though, I'm back to a router with the dropsies. The unit has a two year warranty and it's only 14 months old. I'm going to request a replacement unit.