Jan 26, 2020
Hey all

Got a litting problem hopefully one of you can answer. I am in student flats and th building has free wifi.I have an Xbox One in my room and I can do everything with it. Watch YouTube and Netflix, use the browser, download and play games including Game Pass games. I have Live Gold. I'm getting download speeds of 10mbps. But theres one problem, I cannot play games online! Be it Fifa or Fortnite I cannot play online. Anyone know why that is?

Solution
It depends on the game. The ones that have the most issues are peer to peer games where there is no central server. Most times as long as you are not the host they work, but this is not 100% the case so it can be messy. For games with no central server you need either port mapping or UPnP if you host

A game like fortnite should work unless you try one of the private servers and even those should.

Still the problem is likely similar. The network admin may only allow web traffic. Not sure why they would restrict it since games use less bandwidth than youtube or netflix.

A easy test and maybe your long term solution is to try a vpn. If you only have the xbox I am not sure what vpn options you have. You want to avoid any...
It depends on the game. The ones that have the most issues are peer to peer games where there is no central server. Most times as long as you are not the host they work, but this is not 100% the case so it can be messy. For games with no central server you need either port mapping or UPnP if you host

A game like fortnite should work unless you try one of the private servers and even those should.

Still the problem is likely similar. The network admin may only allow web traffic. Not sure why they would restrict it since games use less bandwidth than youtube or netflix.

A easy test and maybe your long term solution is to try a vpn. If you only have the xbox I am not sure what vpn options you have. You want to avoid any form of free vpn. The quality ones generally have a money back if it doesn't solve your issue or you can't make it work.

Solution