[SOLVED] WiFi in college apartment HELP

Jun 21, 2020
First of all, I'm sorry if this has been asked before. Second any help would be greatly appreciated, don't worry about the money side of things just give me your best options or opinions.

So i recently completed 1st year in college but it was a struggle, my student housing claims to have "highest speeds of wifi", which they definitely don't have. There is a lack of options with student housing so moving to another place is out of the picture. When i moved in i immediately tried to use my ethernet cables, to my surprise they ripped every ethernet cable from all housing. They told me that every apartment shared a max speed of 5mb per second, which is almost 20 times slower than my home wifi. But living with 3 other people i quickly realised the max i would get at all times would be about 1mb per second. This genuinely made college work really hard, i couldn't do most of my work at home. The main router is in the main building in the centre of the housing, every apartments has a little booster in it. My apartment was roughly 30-40 yards away.

Returning for second year i would like to actually be able to do work in my house and my room.

So what I'm asking is, is there any devices or options that i can buy or install to allow me to have my own wifi with high speeds. I would love to be able to actually use and game on my newly built pc.

Anything would help at this point.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
nothing you can do with the provided access. they control it and there is no way to hijack more speed just for yourself. if it was possible, everyone wold do it and there'd still be no bandwidth to go around.

you need your own personal connection that you pay for to control what it can do. if you can't get your own connection, then you'll just have to make do with what you are given. a cellular connection would likely be the best option but if it's not possible, then you're just out of luck :(

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nothing you can do with the provided access. they control it and there is no way to hijack more speed just for yourself. if it was possible, everyone wold do it and there'd still be no bandwidth to go around.

you need your own personal connection that you pay for to control what it can do. if you can't get your own connection, then you'll just have to make do with what you are given. a cellular connection would likely be the best option but if it's not possible, then you're just out of luck :(

Solution