[SOLVED] WiFi interference with multiple PC's?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
So I have a Mac, Win Laptop, and Win Desktop all side by side. Bad idea? I think so not sure why though. Until now I've never had this problem: Low, Low speeds! When I run speed tests with all PC's on I get high ping and slower speeds, much slower. Is there anything i can do to prevent this? Or do I need to put them all in different locations of my home? Thanks!

Solution
Just having them close to each other should not cause much issue. It is the data transmissions that would interfere. In theory at least the devices listen and if they hear nobody else transmitting they assume its safe to transmit. In some ways having them far apart it worse because if the device can not detect the other transmitting they will both send data at the same time and corrupt each other.

The more data you run on the devices at the same time the more risk you take that you get data corruption.

I guess it depend on how you are testing. If you fire up speedtest on all 3 devices at the same time they are sharing the total wifi bandwidth from the router. It will work ok on downloads since it is mostly the router...
Just having them close to each other should not cause much issue. It is the data transmissions that would interfere. In theory at least the devices listen and if they hear nobody else transmitting they assume its safe to transmit. In some ways having them far apart it worse because if the device can not detect the other transmitting they will both send data at the same time and corrupt each other.

The more data you run on the devices at the same time the more risk you take that you get data corruption.

I guess it depend on how you are testing. If you fire up speedtest on all 3 devices at the same time they are sharing the total wifi bandwidth from the router. It will work ok on downloads since it is mostly the router transmitting if you attempt to run multiple upload test at the same time it will have a pretty obvious impact.

If you are using just 1 device at a time then it is more likely that your neighbor got a new router and is now using the same radio channels as you. All you can do is change the radio channels on the router and hope to get a better one. Note if you have the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 your devices may have changed to the 2.4 radio which is much slower but has better signal levels in many houses. You want to run different SSID for 2.4 and 5 so you know what you are connecting to.

Reactions: minnin90
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
So all was working and now has become slow - correct?

More information needed:

What make and model router are you using? (Or modem/router if combined.)

Any antennas or antenna extenders in use?

How far away is the router? What is between your "side by side" location and the router?

Access Points?

How many other network devices (wireless and wired) do you have?

What wireless frequencies and channels are you using?

Are you in an area where there are other wireless networks? Congestion and interference could be involved....

What speed tests are you running/using?

Reactions: minnin90

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
So all was working and now has become slow - correct?

More information needed:

What make and model router are you using? (Or modem/router if combined.)

Any antennas or antenna extenders in use?

How far away is the router? What is between your "side by side" location and the router?

Access Points?

How many other network devices (wireless and wired) do you have?

What wireless frequencies and channels are you using?

Are you in an area where there are other wireless networks? Congestion and interference could be involved....

What speed tests are you running/using?

I do apoligize in advance for not being able to answer all this as some is foreign to me.

First you are correct. Although it is mainly my windows 10 machines, my mac seems fine.

My modem/router is very close (3-4 ft away from the Mac/PC's)

I use various speed tests, googles, att, ookla, xfinity, and fast.com. On my mac esp. the speed never changes unless of course I am using bandwith via streaming or downloading.

My apartment complex counting mine probably has 3 total, that I can see anyway.

I generally have 4 devices on wireless. 1 wired. Wireless: Phone, 2 Win 10 PC's and a Mac. Wired an Xbox.

As for make and model of my modem, i do not know as it was/is a issued one from a poor ISP company. Perhaps there lies the problem. Altho this is recent.

Thanks and sorry if I am not answering correctly.

Ralston18

Titan
No. Your answer/post is fine.

We are still in the troubleshooting process....

Who is your ISP? Do you have a link to their website?

Take another look at the modem. There should be some label providing make and model information.

Feel free to take a photograph of the modem's label plate.

Post the photograph here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

There may be other comments and suggestions thereafter......