Question wifi internet from android phone to laptop with ethernet cable..?

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Oh, so you're basically trying to share your phone's 3G/4G Internet connection with your laptop via tethering through that adaptor? I don't see why it would be impossible.
Unless I misunderstand something and that adaptor is specifically for one way transfer, in which case I defer to a more experienced reader

Of course, by the same token you could just use male micro USB to male USB data cable. I'm not sure why you just don't do it that way. Is it simply that you have no spare USB ports on your laptop?

Last edited:

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
yes , you can , when you connect to A wifi on your android phone that is the connection shared ..

now if someone can introduce us to a great APP that shares VPN over android hotspot , like connectify only for android .. ?? !

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
yes , you can , when you connect to A wifi on your android phone that is the connection shared ..

now if someone can introduce us to a great APP that shares VPN over android hotspot , like connectify only for android .. ?? !
I'm pretty sure he has no WIFI. He is asking whether or not he can share his phone's 3G Internet with his laptop by tethering, only instead of a USB cable, - use the OTG Micro-B to 10/100 Ethernet adaptor and an Ethernet cable to plug into his laptop's Ethernet port. I know that there is a way to do this through a router... But there is very little information online on that specific adaptor and what its capabilities are.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I know he said WIFI which confused the heck out of me, because a hotspot generally refers to sharing a phone's 3G/4G internet (Not WIFI!!!) with your computer. ( And of course, there is a way to do this, simple and straightforward with a male micro B USB to male USB data cable sold in practically every corner store. He wants to do it with the aforementioned adaptor and an Ethernet cable for some reason. So let's just wait until he clarifies his reason for wanting to do that, and hopefully one of us will be able to help him further.

Jun 7, 2019
thank you for the response guys and sorry for my bad english, i will try to give you information for what i want to do...
first of all i need internet conection for my workplace on my laptop... the only wifi signal i get is 30 feet distance from my laptop and is impossible to move out from my workplace... so i want make my android phone as a "receiver" using ethernet cable..
I tried to share internet with netshare app but wifi signal was unstable...so i need ethernet cable for more stability.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
In order to do this, you don't need the adaptor you linked us to. All you need is a regular male micro USB to male USB data cable sold in every variety store. You just have to make sure it's not just a charging cable. Then you need to turn on USB tether option on your phone. Now you have 2 options: If you have a data plan you can use your 3G/4G, if you don't - you can use WIFI signal received by your phone. https://tunecomp.net/android-phone-usb-wi-fi-adapter-lte-modem/ or
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsMhJs4Rpk
or https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-use-your-android-phone-as-a-usb-wifi-adapter.html

As far as I heard, it doesn't work in all Android versions and not all carriers will allow this, as you need to basically make sure your WiFi hotspot is turned off but your WiFi is on. The idea is not to run up a huge bill with your phone using up mobile 3G/4G data by default.

But have you already tried what is suggested in these manuals?

Then there's this, although it's a bit on the expensive side . 30 feet is only about 10 metres, this will probably be an overkill but it will work for sure https://www.amazon.com/TurboTenna-NextG-USB-Yagi-antenna-2200mW/dp/B0044D7J1W?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Last edited:

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
30 meters no 30 feet.. my mistake.. usb cable is only for 5 meters.. :/
Try to do what the links I posted suggest. The person in the video answers a lot of questions in the comment section regularly, he would probably be able to guide you. You don't need 30 metres USB cable, just a short data USB cable connecting your phone to your laptop. Use hotspot USB tethering feature on your phone. If you don't use a lot of data, just documents and e-mails, - you don't even need WIFI, your phone service provider's 3G/4G data plan of 3-5 GB a month of data will likely suffice. Also. - the directed USB antenna in my last link will handle over 50 metres of distance without an issue. I don't know if the adaptor you posted will work, because there is almost no information online about it that I could find, I don't know if it works both ways, but the USB cable should work no problem.

Reactions: excelsior123