[SOLVED] wifi is good. but my ping in most games is garbage

May 2, 2020
as mentioned, my wifi is pretty decent. i have a solid up/down speed and when i run speed test everything is normal and my ping is like 15-20 ms. however, in like 90% of games I play, my ping is either really high or feels really high even though the number itself is low. the only games that I am not having this problem with are CS:GO and other valve games. literally all other games are really laggy for some reason. in league of legends I get a consistent 115ms with occasional dips into the 40's. but then in a game like Valorant, I will get about 60 ms and always have the network error on my screen the whole game. before all this was happening, the highest ping i'd get in any game would be around 35ms.

Solution
Run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you see major spikes in the ping or packet loss.

If this one is good it could just be the game servers.

If you have issues the next step is to run tracert 8.8.8.8 You might get lucky and see he problem but what you now want to do is ping hop 1 and hop2. What you hope to see is no packet loss to hop 1 but issues on hop 2. Hop2 represents the connection to the ISP. You should be able to call the ISP with this and show them you have no issues with your equipment (hop1) but you see issues in hop 2.

Make sure you test on ethernet so the ISP does not attempt to blame the wifi.
Run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you see major spikes in the ping or packet loss.

If this one is good it could just be the game servers.

If you have issues the next step is to run tracert 8.8.8.8 You might get lucky and see he problem but what you now want to do is ping hop 1 and hop2. What you hope to see is no packet loss to hop 1 but issues on hop 2. Hop2 represents the connection to the ISP. You should be able to call the ISP with this and show them you have no issues with your equipment (hop1) but you see issues in hop 2.

Make sure you test on ethernet so the ISP does not attempt to blame the wifi.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS