Apr 29, 2019
Hey, Im using an asus pce-ac51 network adapter. In games like Overwatch, and programs like google, they say I lost connection, but discord says I have internet. I can do google searches or play games, but I can chat on google. This is on and off and random moments in time as well. I tried resetting firewall settings, turning off all firewalls, checking for driver updates, repairing drivers and checking for windows updates. I'm at a loss at this point. I use an MSI B450-A pro mobo and an NZXT H500 case. The wifi adapter cant plugin fully when screwed in, so I leave it unscrewed and its fully plugged into my mobo, with no problems. The "Link" led on the adapter blinks randomly, which I think is normal, unless it's supposed to be a constant light. There isn't much more to say. Any ideas how to fix my problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about the following sentence from your post:

" The wifi adapter cant plugin fully when screwed in, so I leave it unscrewed and its fully plugged into my mobo, with no problems. "

The adapter needs to be screwed in otherwise the connectivity will vary with heating, cooling, system/case vibrations etc..

If the adapter does not fit in properly then you need to investigate the matter a bit more. Try to figure out why the adapter will not physically fit.

Are the antenna's correctly installed? Is the case bent, twisted, or otherwise physically damaged?

As for the "Link" led:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/103960

Or live chat if necessary.

Apr 29, 2019
Not sure about the following sentence from your post:

" The wifi adapter cant plugin fully when screwed in, so I leave it unscrewed and its fully plugged into my mobo, with no problems. "

The adapter needs to be screwed in otherwise the connectivity will vary with heating, cooling, system/case vibrations etc..

If the adapter does not fit in properly then you need to investigate the matter a bit more. Try to figure out why the adapter will not physically fit.

Are the antenna's correctly installed? Is the case bent, twisted, or otherwise physically damaged?

As for the "Link" led:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/103960

Or live chat if necessary.
When you install your gpu, what is that thing to the left that you screw off and replace with the side of your gpu? I had to take one of them off for my extender and when I screwed the extender into that side panel, it seemed like the extender wasn’t fully plugged into the mobo and was partially raised a bit from the left side of the slot. And the antennas are installed correctly with no problems

BringerOfTea

Reputable
You on windows 10? betting you are since you are running ryzen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/custome...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01EYTGI7G#R1NPFD6IKR7JZU

Check out the reviews on amazon, this fella says
"So, go to Device Manager, find "Broadcom" right click and choose properties... power management and UN-TICK the box. Otherwise, you'll be downloading a game on steam for example, it'll get 1GB of it, then drop connection "

Apr 29, 2019
You on windows 10? betting you are since you are running ryzen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/custome...iewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01EYTGI7G#R1NPFD6IKR7JZU

Check out the reviews on amazon, this fella says
"So, go to Device Manager, find "Broadcom" right click and choose properties... power management and UN-TICK the box. Otherwise, you'll be downloading a game on steam for example, it'll get 1GB of it, then drop connection "
I’m going to assume that’s thats gonna work and I love you because I forgot about that.. I’ll let y’all know if I got problems in about 8 hours lol, the thing is, would that still prevent me from getting a connection on some apps and not others like discord? Discord was giving me WiFi. I could receive and send messages, but all other programs said I didn’t have internet.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Extender" - I believe that you mean the metal plate that faces out from the computer case and to which the antennas screw in and the LED lights appear.

Normally you just remove the blank cover plate for the applicable PCIe port.

https://www.amazon.com/Mxfans-Computer-Bracket-Blank-Filler/dp/B07DS466FZ

Cover plates can and do vary in design, thickness, color. However, they all do (or should) adhere to the general length and width requirements.

There is either a single screw holding that cover plate in place or perhaps a hinged cover that uses just one or two screws. The hinged cover plate holds down multiple installed PCIe components. Not unusual for some other PCIe component to come loose if the cover plate unscrewed for some reason.

Open the case up and take another look. Use a bright flashlight. Network adapter should be fully inserted and level.

My sense is that the Asus network adapter may not be fully seated in the motherboard's slot or otherwise misaligned.

Apr 29, 2019
"Extender" - I believe that you mean the metal plate that faces out from the computer case and to which the antennas screw in and the LED lights appear.

Normally you just remove the blank cover plate for the applicable PCIe port.

https://www.amazon.com/Mxfans-Computer-Bracket-Blank-Filler/dp/B07DS466FZ

Cover plates can and do vary in design, thickness, color. However, they all do (or should) adhere to the general length and width requirements.

There is either a single screw holding that cover plate in place or perhaps a hinged cover that uses just one or two screws. The hinged cover plate holds down multiple installed PCIe components. Not unusual for some other PCIe component to come loose if the cover plate unscrewed for some reason.

Open the case up and take another look. Use a bright flashlight. Network adapter should be fully inserted and level.

My sense is that the Asus network adapter may not be fully seated in the motherboard's slot or otherwise misaligned.
I plugged it into the motherboard and it was secure, but when I screwed in the metal plate it seemed less secure in the mother board.

Ralston18

Titan
If you back off on the screw, will the adapter move down and become more secure?

If the extender is bent upwards from the normal 90 degree angle then the card will unseat as the screw is tightened.

Or it could be that the network adapter is "out of square" ( meaning that the extension plate is not perfectly vertical with the connection points that fit down into the host PCIe slot) or there may be some physical defect.

Pull the network adapter out and look for signs of a twist, some curvature, anything physically not as it should be. Compare the card to other cards of any sort that you may have on hand. Objective is to confirm, one way or another, that the network adapter is not warped.

Apr 29, 2019
If you back off on the screw, will the adapter move down and become more secure?

If the extender is bent upwards from the normal 90 degree angle then the card will unseat as the screw is tightened.

Or it could be that the network adapter is "out of square" ( meaning that the extension plate is not perfectly vertical with the connection points that fit down into the host PCIe slot) or there may be some physical defect.

Pull the network adapter out and look for signs of a twist, some curvature, anything physically not as it should be. Compare the card to other cards of any sort that you may have on hand. Objective is to confirm, one way or another, that the network adapter is not warped.
It’s more so that when it’s in the motherboard is secure but it’s not horizontally long enough to make it to the case wall just by a couple millimeters, so as I tighten the screw I notice the right side of the adapter that’s plugged in, move up a tiny bit.

Ralston18

Titan
Loosen the screw so the right side of the adapter can fully seat itself. I.e., move down again.

If loosening the screw allows the adapter to move too much then try using a small washer(s)between screw and the extension plate. Size the washer(s) so the screw can be snugged up without raising the right side of the adapter.

And use a bright flashlight to view the inside of the slot for any obstructions or debris inside the PCIe slot. Likewise check the network card's placement in the slot before tightening down the screw. Card should be and must be fully seated.

Apr 29, 2019
Loosen the screw so the right side of the adapter can fully seat itself. I.e., move down again.

If loosening the screw allows the adapter to move too much then try using a small washer(s)between screw and the extension plate. Size the washer(s) so the screw can be snugged up without raising the right side of the adapter.

And use a bright flashlight to view the inside of the slot for any obstructions or debris inside the PCIe slot. Likewise check the network card's placement in the slot before tightening down the screw. Card should be and must be fully seated.
I made sure it was in completely and perfectly, and there was nothing in the slot, and it still happens. I have updated drivers for the mobo and the adapter. I really can’t think of anything else. It happens with and without my firewall on too. I’m at a loss for words at this point.

Ralston18

Titan
Going back a bit..

This: "It’s more so that when it’s in the motherboard is secure but it’s not horizontally long enough to make it to the case wall just by a couple millimeters"

If at a loss for words then the fallback option is a photograph (AKA "picture is worth 10,000 words" per the proverbial quote).

Suggest that you post a couple of photographs as clear and as well lit as you can manage. Slot, adapter, some angle that shows the problem between slot, adapter, and case wall.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

May save us all a few words and perhaps someone else following your thread will spot a problem.

I am thinking that the adapter is physically defective. Unable to be both properly seated and fully secured.