wifi is suddenly slow when a certain someone is connected?

Jun 13, 2018
we actually have a decent wi-fi speed, tbh. and whenever my cousin lives with us, which is approximately like ALMOST EVERY DAY, he connects to the our wi-fi, of course. but whenever he connects to our wi-fi, WE LOSE ALL THE CONNECTION. my phone's, my laptop's, name every gadget in the house that's connected. the thing is, HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN USE IT. and whenever he goes back home, our wi-fi goes back to normal. he did this 2 years ago like a bit differently and my mom knew how he manipulated our wi-fi. but we don't know what he's trying to do now. help?

Solution
- Reset your router to factory settings. Their's usually a reset button or pinhole on the back which you depress for 30 seconds.
- Connect to your router using factory defaults (varies by make and model). Newer units usually have the defaults listed on them.
- Go to your router configuration pages (varies by make and model) most use a web browser interface some have utilities.
- Configure a new SSID (wifi name) and network key (wifi password for your network). Only use that for your immediate household and devices.
- Check your router for a Guest wifi network option. Most made in the last ten years have that option.
- Enable the guest wifi, set a unique name (if that is an option), set a guest password, don't allow guest devices to...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My suggestion would be to change the WiFi password so that certain person can't get on....

I truly wish I could be more helpful than that. Our son got an iPhone a couple of years ago that did the exact same thing to us. My plex streams and all manner of issues would pop up whenever he connected it to our WiFi. Thankfully, when he upgraded phones the issue stopped along with it. Never did figure it out.

Well change passwords, reinstall router firmware and make him a guest network. this way we will have wifi and will have 0 access to break anything :)
get how to from google: router model + "how to set up guest network" will end up like this:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1009855/

- Reset your router to factory settings. Their's usually a reset button or pinhole on the back which you depress for 30 seconds.
- Connect to your router using factory defaults (varies by make and model). Newer units usually have the defaults listed on them.
- Go to your router configuration pages (varies by make and model) most use a web browser interface some have utilities.
- Configure a new SSID (wifi name) and network key (wifi password for your network). Only use that for your immediate household and devices.
- Check your router for a Guest wifi network option. Most made in the last ten years have that option.
- Enable the guest wifi, set a unique name (if that is an option), set a guest password, don't allow guest devices to communicate with eachother (if an option).
- Only give your cousin the password to the guest Wifi. Also anyone else who visits should get your guest wifi only.
- Go to the admin settings for your router. Set a password for the router. This isn't your Wifi password but the password to manage your router.

Assuming your cousin is just mooching. Since you say almost every day. I assume this is the case. If he resets the router after you do this. Ban him until he learns to respect other peoples property.

Solution

AniChatt

Distinguished
I think he might be prioritized his pc for max bandwidth or something. What you can do is in the browser say chrome or edge or anything type 192.168.1.1 > enter and it will open the admin section of the router. I believe you know the user id and password of this router (it is written in the manual of your router try with the default one). If you don't know and your cousin has changed it then there is a reset button below or at the back side of the router but it will also reset entire setting of your connection type.
If you know how to configure your connection then after this reset configure it again and change the password to login and secure this password. Now no one can configure your router without this password. However what is the model of your router?

It is plausible that he/she has their torrent settings setup for another area that has maybe a 100 megabit download speed.

But when they connect to a different network/your network with slower speeds they forgets to lower their download speed in their torrent program.

No reason to suspect this is a malicious hacking of your network.

Of course the easiest way is to just ask him/her.

Also think of it this way, if I wanted to monopolize all the bandwidth in the house for myself I wouldn't disconnect all other devices but mine because then everything points straight to me.

I would give myself 90% of the bandwidth and let everything else fight over the remaining 10%, that way nothing loses connection and those devices just perform slowly.

Having said that, this feature is available on some consumer routers and is called QOS or quality of service.

But it still sounds much more likely he is downloading torrents than he hacked your router and messed with QOS settings.

ikaz

Distinguished
The only thing I would add is maybe setup your guest wifi as the old network name and password that way at first he may not notice the change. When/if he does and try to mess with your router you can catch him and call him out on it.