[SOLVED] WiFi Issues Main House to Guest House

May 30, 2020
I have ISP, cable modem and Orbi router in the guest house. Orbi extender in main house about 50 ft away. I often get buffering when watching smart TV. Also, houses are old and have thick walls and near cement walls. I ran a Cat 6 wire from guest house to main when I connected them with a patio roof. I plan to move cable modem from guest to main and connect using this new Cat 6 wire with a 5 jack switch. Than swap the Orbi router and extender between houses. I also plan to run some more Cat 6 to have wired connection to TV and computer in main house.

Good plan -- other thoughts?
Thanks

Solution
I have ISP, cable modem and Orbi router in the guest house. Orbi extender in main house about 50 ft away. I often get buffering when watching smart TV. Also, houses are old and have thick walls and near cement walls. I ran a Cat 6 wire from guest house to main when I connected them with a patio roof. I plan to move cable modem from guest to main and connect using this new Cat 6 wire with a 5 jack switch. Than swap the Orbi router and extender between houses. I also plan to run some more Cat 6 to have wired connection to TV and computer in main house.

Thanks
Put ethernet cable wherever you need WIFI. Then connect the Orbi units via ethernet rather than WIFI. This is called "wired backhaul".

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks
Put ethernet cable wherever you need WIFI. Then connect the Orbi units via ethernet rather than WIFI. This is called "wired backhaul".

Reactions: FishTrix
Solution