Sep 27, 2019
Hey guys, I'm facing a weird issue. I'm able to access the internet, seamlessly, on my mobile device connected to the WiFi but I'm having issues getting my laptop online on the same WiFi. I've been facing this issue from the past two days. After troubleshooting the problem, I noticed that whenever I connect my laptop via a LAN cable, it works like it's supposed to but as soon as I switch to WiFi, I start getting troubles. I noticed that whenever I'm connected via the WiFi, I get weird DNS servers (Screenshots attached - with WiFi and with LAN cable respectively). Also the IPv4 address is the same as my router's configuration page (192.168.2.1). I don't know networking that well and whether or not it's supposed to be like that. I know I can use Google DNS as a fix but for some reason it gives me high latency on game servers. For all I know before this problem occurred, the WiFi used to work just fine without me having to use Google DNS or Open DNS.

List of things I've tried so far :
  • Resetting windows network settings.
  • Resetting and setting up both the modem and router again.
Screenshots : View: https://imgur.com/a/5RBBagp

Solution
This is very strange because you have 2 completely different subnets.

You have 192.168.42,x on ethernet and 192.168.2.x on wifi. The only way this can generally happen is if you have 2 different routers.

The dns the same as the router is common. It means the router is acting as a proxy but you can change it in the dhcp settings if it is causing a issue.

What I find strange is the gateway on the one that works. It is assigned to a IP in the middle of the range. There is nothing wrong with this but this is not a configuration that a novice person does. The .129 address is almost as if the router at one time had a mask of 255.255.255.128 and only someone very knowledgeable would have selected those IP.

Maybe it is just pure...
This is very strange because you have 2 completely different subnets.

You have 192.168.42,x on ethernet and 192.168.2.x on wifi. The only way this can generally happen is if you have 2 different routers.

The dns the same as the router is common. It means the router is acting as a proxy but you can change it in the dhcp settings if it is causing a issue.

What I find strange is the gateway on the one that works. It is assigned to a IP in the middle of the range. There is nothing wrong with this but this is not a configuration that a novice person does. The .129 address is almost as if the router at one time had a mask of 255.255.255.128 and only someone very knowledgeable would have selected those IP.

Maybe it is just pure coincidence but you need to figure out why you have what appears to be 2 different routers.

Solution