Question Wifi keeps disconnecting while playing games/crashes wireless too

Nira99

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
Hello
I have recently ran into a problem that I have been having for a few weeks now. :/

What's happening is that my wifi (I am using a PC connected to my router through etherenet cable) is randomly crashing while i play games.

1. What i checked first, was to test my band width, to find out i had around 95mbps, and my usual speed is around 450-500mbps. So i first called the ISP and asked them to restart servers (we experienced low band width several times before and this is what solved it)

2. But now, after my band dropped again, It came to my mind to restart the router and to my surprise, the band with was back to normal speed. BUT after going back to playing it didn't last more than 2 more games until my wifi died again. WITH the bandwith being at its normal speed.(i tested it afterwards again)

Now my question is, is it my router, or the ISP? Because what i find weird is that once my wifi makes my game crash, it also crashes wireless too, won't work on phone and the wifi icon on my phone would appear with ! near it.

And I also feel the need to add this particular information too:
  • The game i have allows up to max 8 players in the same room, and i noticed that if I play only with 6 players, it doesn't crash anymore. And since my wifi crashes both on pc and wireless, i can't put the blame on the game server's performance neither, can i? (out of all my friends im the only one having this too)

• I also tried to ping BOTH my ISP and router in comand prompt while playing the game.(ping -t command) I alt tabbed at the moment it disconnected me, and what i noticed was that, instead of having a time<1ms , i got time=2ms or time=1ms. And i had this on both isp and router too.
If you need any specs please let me know!
I hope someone answers..id really wanna know whats the issue and what I should do
Thank you!

Maybe mulitple issues. 95mbps is a very suspect number. It tends to be the number you see when some cable drops to 100mbps. It could be either the connection to your computer or the connection between the modem and the router. It is almost always a bad cable, in theory it could be a bad port but that means replacing hardware.

The second issue where you lose the wifi radio is more a issue with the router. I assume you can't connect at all if it is just running at 100mbps then it could be the cable issue between the modem and router. This failure is almost always bad router hardware. You can try a firmware upgrade and hope it is a bug. It is very rare but routers can crash when you stress them. You might hit bad memory that is only used under load or you get problems with chips overheating because of high usage. Not a common things but the only solution is to buy a new router.

Nira99

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
Maybe mulitple issues. 95mbps is a very suspect number. It tends to be the number you see when some cable drops to 100mbps. It could be either the connection to your computer or the connection between the modem and the router. It is almost always a bad cable, in theory it could be a bad port but that means replacing hardware.

The second issue where you lose the wifi radio is more a issue with the router. I assume you can't connect at all if it is just running at 100mbps then it could be the cable issue between the modem and router. This failure is almost always bad router hardware. You can try a firmware upgrade and hope it is a bug. It is very rare but routers can crash when you stress them. You might hit bad memory that is only used under load or you get problems with chips overheating because of high usage. Not a common things but the only solution is to buy a new router.
My cable is relatively new, it shouldnt display any issue.. the problem altered during the past days, recently the mbps are the same and some games run fine, while i have disconnections issue with just one particular game now. I have also recently update the firmware and my nic. But if it were to be the router, shouldnt it affect all my other connections with all other games?

TRENDING THREADS