Wifi looks fine on speed test, but does not perform well.

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
My speedtest results indicated that my ping was 9 ms, download was 59 mbps and my upload was 5 mbps. I have no clue why if I play a game like fortnite, I will have connection issues with my ping under 60. What is wrong with my internet? I am connected via ethernet cable and my speedtest results look pretty average.

Solution
Very likely, gaming is often difficult over wireless due to latency spikes, which may show up in the jitter measurement (it indicates the deviation from the mean latency of your connection, a number value for spikes).

Try running a packet loss test and see how that goes. Also with fortnite (I have no idea thats why I am asking) can you change your region? I know from my experience with Rocket league that if I play anywhere but on Oceanian servers its guarantee to lag, even with a 50mbps+/20mbps+ connection.

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I will check right now, because what I forgot to add is whenever I start to have this lag I have around 20% packet loss

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I am fairly sure it is a latency issue

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I am playing on the servers I should be. I am not completely new to networking stuff but I didn't really know what the issue is. I first assumed it was a bandwidth problem and it was latency

RealBeast

Titan
Very likely, gaming is often difficult over wireless due to latency spikes, which may show up in the jitter measurement (it indicates the deviation from the mean latency of your connection, a number value for spikes).

Solution